1993′s “Strangers” was among titles that launched Malibu Ultraverse
Steve Englehart and Rick Hoberg were the creative team of “The Strangers,” one of the debut titles of the Ultraverse, Malibu’s superhero comic book line that debuted in 1993.
By Steve Englehart and Rick Hoberg
One of the debut books of Malibu’s “Ultraverse” line of comics, The Strangers features a group of literal strangers, given superpowers when a bolt from above struck their cable car. Six of the passengers unite as a superhero team, with the thought that others who gained powers might not be so altruistic. As a concept, “The Strangers” has some similarities to “Heroes” and “Rising Stars,” both of which came later. The book, which came out in 1993, has excellent production values for the time. In the initial issue, the characters — a Latina businesswoman, two All-American art students, a baker, and a inner-city teen — discover their powers. We also discover one of the people on the car wasn’t a person exactly – but she seems to have developed powers as well. These six come in conflict with a flying princess, with whom they can’t immediately communicate. Quite a bit happening for one issue, including the introduction of a character, Johnny Domino, injured in the cable car accident, who will become later important to the Ultraverse.
The issue is a lot of fun. If you don’t want something classically super-heroish, you probably won’t like this — “Strangers” wears its comic-book style fully on its sleeve — but a fun start to what became a very successful line.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 81615Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 14276Bradley Cooper, Zach Galifianakis, Ed Helms drink in success of 'Hangover' series
- 8057Hobby Lobby argues case before federal judges
- 7469Oklahoma tornadoes: Rams quarterback Sam Bradford leading aid effort
- 7367How to help tornado victims
- 6230Rock, pop, country acts give talents and time to help Oklahoma tornado victims
- 5754Oklahoma tornadoes: ‘All I could do was sit there and hold her'
- 5743Carrie Underwood donates $1 million to Red Cross for disaster relief in wake of deadly Oklahoma tornadoes
- 5628OKC Thunder: Kevin Durant tours Moore, meets with residents
- 5567Oklahoma tornadoes: Thunder reverses the role, takes a turn at cheering on the community
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients