Alex Ross, Kurt Busiek to team up on “Kirby: Genesis” for Dynamite
DALLAS — On the same night that the late artist Jack Kirby was honored by the ComicsPRO comic-book retailer trade organization, Dynamite Entertainment publisher Nick Barrucci announced new details on the upcoming “Kirby: Genesis” series from Dynamite Entertainment.
Kirby, co-creator of characters including Captain America, Thor, the X-Men and the Fantastic Four, was given the Memorial ComicsPRO Industry Appreciation Award for those who have passed away and left an indelible mark on the profession of comic-book specialty retailing.
Bob Chapman of Graphitti Designs accepted the Memorial Award on behalf of the Kirby family and spoke of Kirby’s dedication to the growing direct market in the 1980s, when he created the characters of Silver Star and Captain Victory at publisher Pacific Comics.
Those two characters, plus more, will return in “Kirby: Genesis,” by the “Marvels” creative team of writer Kurt Busiek and painter Alex Ross, joined by artist Jack Herbert.
“The best part about this is not only are Kurt and Alex co-plotting it; not only is Kurt writing it; not only is Alex doing thumbnails and helping to draw it; he’ll also be painting interiors on the book,” Barrucci said at the meeting.
Barrucci described the teaming of Ross and Busiek as their most substantial collaboration since the Eisner Award-winning “Marvels” in 1993.
In “Kirby: Genesis,” the Pioneer 10 space probe carried a message to the stars. Now an answer’s on the way — but not one that was expected. When it arrives, the lives of three ordinary people — and the entire world — will be changed forever.
New, previously unseen Jack Kirby creations will debut in this series, which will kick off with a 32-page $1 issue in May.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 18478Oklahoma weather: Crews work to clear storm damage in Oklahoma City as the state braces for severe weather Sunday.
- 8171OKC Thunder: Thunder trio praise fans before potential departures
- 6350Oklahoma Severe Storm Updates
- 6186Student shot dead during botched home invasion
- 6108OKC Thunder GM Sam Presti won't amnesty Kendrick Perkins
- 4747Oklahoma medical examiner reports cause of deaths in Grand Lake boat crash
- 4683Oklahoma State football: Todd Monken thinks Wes Lunt should've stayed in Stillwater
- 3723Wild hogs continue to be a growing menace across Oklahoma
- 3514Soaring gasoline prices hurt Oklahoma City area retailers
- 3353As Boy Scouts' vote on gay members nears, faith groups weigh in
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients