Essential Captain America vol. 6 features shift in direction
The sixth volume in “Essential Captain America” contains one of the biggest shifts in tone in the history of the series, as Jack Kirby’s breakneck, action-packed, often off-kilter adventures, co-featuring the Falcon, give way to an introspective series where Cap ponders his origins, mostly without the help of his longtime partner.
The trade collection starts with issue #206, the “Swine” storyline, in which Cap is kidnapped by a brutal Central American strongman, and the Falcon must rescue him. The idea-a-minute storyline features Arnim Zola, secret SHIELD facilities and runs at full throttle throughout. Cap faces off against Magneto in Annualk #4, collected here, which features the pair each battling for the future of a tiny mutant. There are just so many ideas busting out here that with a little dialogue tweak, these could be Grant Morrison comics.
When the Kirby run comes to an end, perhaps feeling no one could top the madness of the run, the tone shifts abruptly. In a fill-in issue (#215) by Roy Thomas, Cap ponders his origins and his place in the world. Issue #216 features a reprint of the “Strange Tales” issue that was a tryout for the return of Captain America. Thomas and the underrated Don Glut introduce the SHIELD super-agents in the next issue, who Falcon takes over training, marking his lessening appearances in the Captain America title. Over the next several issues, under various writers, Cap battles the evil “Corporation” and searches for his origins, finding out info about his parents that was later removed from continuity.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 90847Read live updates from the May 20 Moore tornado
- 38051Oklahoma devastated by second round of twisters
- 13823Oklahoma City tornado so large, may not be recognized, officials say
- 12196Several kids pulled out of Oklahoma school rubble alive
- 11468How to help tornado victims
- 10241At least 51 die in Oklahoma tornado, official says
- 9606Oklahoma State football: Limiting Wes Lunt's transfer options makes Mike Gundy look bad
- 8192Oklahoma tornadoes: 'It took it all'
- 7786Tornado in Oklahoma City suburb causes destruction
- 6372Oklahoma weather: Crews work to clear storm damage in Oklahoma City as the state braces for severe weather Sunday.
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients