Movie review: “Thor”
Thor’ thunders into theaters
Movie review: Chris Hemsworth portrays the lovable but arrogant hero cast to Earth in “Thor.”
Marvel Entertainment unveils a new character in its cinematic pantheon with “Thor,” starring Chris Hemsworth as the otherworldly god of thunder, cast to Earth for his hubris by his father, Odin, the ruler of Asgard.
On Earth, he meets the lovely astrophysicist Jane Foster (Natalie Portman), who is studying the dimensional portals that the Asgardians use to travel between the various realms. In ancient Norse times, the Asgardians used this bridge to travel to Earth, where they were revered as gods.
On Earth, Thor has none of his vaunted might, nor does he have his enchanted hammer Mjolnir. But it’s also fallen to Earth, with an enchantment from Odin: Whosoever holds this hammer, if he be worthy, shall possess the power of Thor.
In Thor’s absence, his mischievous brother, Loki (Tom Hiddleston), has designs on the throne of Asgard and on making Thor’s banishment permanent.
Thor, as played by Hemsworth, is arrogant but lovable, and his development over the course of the movie shows Thor growing into his responsibilities.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 64379Oklahoma tornadoes: 'It took it all'
- 31540Oklahoma Severe Storm Updates
- 30680Oklahoma weather: Crews work to clear storm damage in Oklahoma City as the state braces for severe weather Sunday.
- 16244Oklahoma State football: Limiting Wes Lunt's transfer options makes Mike Gundy look bad
- 7370Wild hogs continue to be a growing menace across Oklahoma
- 6239Oklahoma City Thunder: What could Serge Ibaka learn from Hakeem Olajuwon?
- 4310Oklahoma football: Jay Norvell working on luring a tall group of wide receivers to Norman
- 4237Oklahoma tornadoes: Several homes damaged by tornado, but no injuries in Edmond
- 4076Bounty hunters look for bail jumpers, fugitives on the streets of Oklahoma City
- 3649Severe storms possible in Oklahoma again Monday
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients