Patrick Fabian says ‘Last Exorcism’ scares on its own terms
While the film title “The Last Exorcism” is sure to remind some of the classic 1973 horror film “The Exorcist,” star Patrick Fabian said the filmmakers wanted to leave their own interpretation on the subject matter.
“I don’t know anyone who hasn’t been scared by ‘The Exorcist,’” Fabian said in a recent interview. “But we weren’t trying to make an ‘Exorcist 2.’ We didn’t shoot looking over our shoulders.”
Fabian plays Cotton Marcus, a minister who has lost his faith and hires a documentary film crew to expose his secrets. When he’s called to the Sweetzer family farm in rural Louisiana to perform an exorcism, he thinks he’ll be confessing his secrets. But what he finds is something far worse.
“It was originally titled ‘Cotton.’ And the director, Daniel Stamm, was intent on telling this man’s story of faith, or lack thereof. And what you find is that Daniel’s storytelling abilities are tremendously creative and strong, and completely different from ‘The Exorcist.’ And the themes of faith, good versus evil and redemption have been around forever. This is a great scare that stands on its own.”
Cotton Marcus was a child-preaching prodigy who followed his father’s footsteps into the pulpit.
“But he’s been mostly a fraud,” Fabian said. “And having a crisis of conscience has made him hire a film crew to expose the charlatanism and fakery that Cotton believes exorcism is. However, when we get to the Sweetzer farm, the reverend encounters something he’s not prepared to deal with.”
Fabian praised his co-star Ashley Bell, who plays Nell Sweetzer, the daughter Cotton must try to save.
“Cannot say enough good things about her,” he said. “If you have an exorcist movie and the possessed girl isn’t believable, you don’t have a movie. She was terrific; she really brought it. And everything she does in the movies, she does in the movie; that creepy pose on the poster? All her.”
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 16614OKC Central: Architectural "Worsts"
- 14171Oklahoma baseball: Joe Simpson 'thrilled' that Sunny Golloway left OU
- 13556Oklahoma storms: Profile of Life: Megan and Case Futrell
- 10806Classen School of Advanced Studies valedictorian disappears while hiking with family in Ecuador
- 9444Was Special Treatment Given in Oklahoma Vice Mayor DUI Traffic Stop?
- 7747Live blog: "The Voice" Season 4 live finale
- 7539Two teacher programs at Oklahoma universities called ineffective
- 7474'Firehouse' in Oklahoma City's Deep Deuce is set to become new home
- 7103Red meat might be delicious, but not as nutritious
- 7093Train engineer's vision problems led to deadly Oklahoma wreck, NTSB rules
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients