“Red” movie draws from graphic novel inspirations
Bruce Willis stars as Frank Moses in “Red,” opening this weekend in theaters. “Red” is based on the comic book miniseries by writer Warren Ellis and artist Cully Hamner.
Moses is a retired black ops officer who is targeted for assassination, causing him to reassemble his old unit. The film, directed by Robert Schwentke, also stars Morgan Freeman, John Malkovich, Mary Louise Parker and Helen Mirren.
The comic-book miniseries is available in a collection from DC Comics, which includes the three-issue miniseries and the script for issue No. 1, as well as developmental art by Hamner. Four prequel comic books featuring characters from the film are on sale now. A prequel to the comic-book series, “Red: Eyes Only,” is set to be released Wednesday. “Eyes Only” is written and drawn by Hamner.
Ellis is one of the more acclaimed comic-book writers of the past 20 years; he broke into comics in 1990, and was working for Marvel Comics by 1994. The following is a selection of a few of the writer’s graphic novel works outside of the superhero genre:
Transmetropolitan: One of the best comic-book series of the 1990s, “Transmetropolitan” featured gonzo journalist Spider Jerusalem in a dystonic future. By Ellis and Darick Robertson.
Orbiter: The space shuttle Venture returns to earth, 10 years after it disappeared, covered in strange organic material and with all but one of its crew missing.
Global Frequency: Ellis and a rotating cast of artists create stories of a secret worldwide independent defense intelligence organization with 1,001 agents.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 83911Oklahoma tornadoes: 'It took it all'
- 66115Oklahoma weather: Severe storm updates
- 33602Oklahoma State football: Limiting Wes Lunt's transfer options makes Mike Gundy look bad
- 20416Oklahoma weather: Crews work to clear storm damage in Oklahoma City as the state braces for severe weather Sunday.
- 18059Oklahoma Severe Storm Updates
- 13064Oklahoma sucker-punched by second round of twisters
- 9549Oklahoma City tornado so large, may not be recognized, officials say
- 8530Bounty hunters look for bail jumpers, fugitives on the streets of Oklahoma City
- 8480Oklahoma football: Jay Norvell working on luring a tall group of wide receivers to Norman
- 8114Oklahoma City Thunder: What could Serge Ibaka learn from Hakeem Olajuwon?
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients