Authentic Star Wars: Return of the Jedi Ewok mask to be auctioned
From Heritage Auctions:
BEVERLY HILLS, CA – Considering how many Ewoks trolled the moon of the gas giant Endor as the Empire re-built its Death Star in Return of The Jedi, it’s amazing that more authentic Ewok masks and costumes haven’t shown up at public auction. That, however, is precisely the case, as evidenced by the advance buzz being generated by hardcore Star Wars fans as the Star Wars Ewok costume mask worn by actor Lars Green – who passed away in 2003 – in Episode VI prepares for its auction debut in Los Angeles.
The mask is part of Heritage Auctions Beverly Hills Nov. 13-14 Signature® Music & Entertainment Auction. It is conservatively estimated at $3,000+.
The mask has been consigned to Heritage by Green’s brother, Dr. Glen Green, a middle school teacher of U.S. History in Arcadia, CA. According to Green, there used to be even more to the costume, but time, his own children, and many Halloweens led to the disintegration of several key parts.
“There used to be hands and feet that went with the mask,” said Dr. Green, “but my kids used to wear it for Halloween every year, and wore out the hands and feet.”
While highly prized as a gift from his brother, Dr. Green had no idea the mask was worth anything until his middle school students let him know that what he had carried more than sentimental value.
“I’d take it out and put it on at school in October and the kids would go crazy for it,” Dr. Green said. “Recently the kids started saying, ‘you know, Dr. Green, that mask is worth a lot of money. You should sell it on eBay.”
Rather than taking his chances online, Green took the mask to the professionals at Heritage, who have seen a decided spike in interest in the mask based on both the popularity of the Star Wars franchise and the absolute rarity of intact examples of these costumes.
“We’ve been pretty much overwhelmed at the response to this mask,” said Kristen Painter, Manager of Music & Entertainment Auctions at Heritage. “People have been coming into our Beverly Hills office off the street, absolutely freaking out over this thing.”
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 24367Oklahoma weather: Crews work to clear storm damage in Oklahoma City as the state braces for severe weather Sunday.
- 12839Oklahoma Severe Storm Updates
- 7010OKC Thunder GM Sam Presti won't amnesty Kendrick Perkins
- 5994OKC Thunder: Thunder trio praise fans before potential departures
- 5476Wild hogs continue to be a growing menace across Oklahoma
- 5061Student shot dead during botched home invasion
- 3886Oklahoma State football: Todd Monken thinks Wes Lunt should've stayed in Stillwater
- 3822Oklahoma medical examiner reports cause of deaths in Grand Lake boat crash
- 3626Four burning questions - Was the Thunder's season a failure?
- 3264Brittney Griner: Kim Mulkey said keep quiet on sexuality
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients