Saga #1 review
Brian K. Vaughan returns to comics in the much-hyped “Saga” #1 from Image Comics. He’s joined by artist Fiona Staples in an issue that, according to Image Comics, sold out before it was even released. (Copies may remain on store shelves.)
In the comic, Marko and Alana are lovers from opposite sides of a galactic conflict, and the story begins with the birth of their child.
Vaughan, known for “Y: The Last Man” and “Ex Machina” has created the beginning of an epic sci-fi fantasy story here, as the pair are on the run from the authorities as their forbidden relationship is revealed.
They are caught up in the long-standing war between the planet Landfall and the moon Wreath, which has now spread across the galaxy. Great visuals by Fiona Staples complement a story that may remind some in places of “Firefly” or “Star Wars,” but looks to be the beginning of a great space adventure drama all its own. The issue is filled both with impressive world-building and intimate character development.
Gorgeous, deep and enveloping, “Saga” continues the Image Comics resurgence and will certainly be on the short list for the best new comics of 2012.
The issue has gone back to press and the second printing will be released on April 11, alongside “Saga” No. 2.
- Matt Price
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 43037Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 15155Bradley Cooper, Zach Galifianakis, Ed Helms drink in success of 'Hangover' series
- 9718Hobby Lobby argues case before federal judges
- 8776Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 8708Oklahoma tornadoes: Thunder reverses the role, takes a turn at cheering on the community
- 7875Rock, pop, country acts give talents and time to help Oklahoma tornado victims
- 7675Blake Shelton's "Healing the Heartland" televised tornado benefit set for Wednesday at Chesapeake Energy Arena
- 7121Story behind the photo: Family members describe desperate search for one another after EF5 twister
- 6968Carrie Underwood donates $1 million to Red Cross for disaster relief in wake of deadly Oklahoma tornadoes
- 5760Oklahoma tornadoes: Sooners bring back some smiles to Sydney Angle's teammates
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients