Sherlock Holmes solves mysteries in comics, too
Robert Downey Jr. reprises his role as Sherlock Holmes in the film “Sherlock Holmes: Game of Shadows,” in theaters this week. While most know that Downey’s other best-known role, that of Iron Man, comes from a line of Marvel Comics, fewer might be aware that Holmes, who originated in the stories of Arthur Conan Doyle, has made frequent forays into comic books as well.
Sherlock Holmes was created by Doyle in 1887. The London-based detective is known for his logic and use of science to solve seemingly inscrutable cases.
Since the Holmes character is in the public domain, many publishers have created adaptations of the Doyle stories or taken Holmes in new directions.
DC Comics in 1975 created an adaptation of Sherlock Holmes’ tales, written by Denny O’Neil (“Batman”) with art by E.R. Cruz and a cover by Walter Simonson. In the 1980s, Guy Davis and Gary Reed reimagined Sherlock Holmes as a female punk in a London of an alternate timeline in the “Baker Street” comic book for Caliber.
DC Comics returned to Sherlock many times over the years, most recently in the two “Victorian Undead” miniseries, which pit Sherlock Holmes against zombies and Dracula, and a one-shot in which Sherlock Holmes meets Dr. Jekyll.
Dynamite Entertainment since 2009 has been creating Sherlock Holmes stories that pay homage to the originals. Writers Leah Moore and John Reppion joined artist Aaron Campbell and cover artist John Cassaday for the “Trial of Sherlock Holmes” story, released in a softcover collected edition in 2010. This “locked room” mystery has Holmes apparently the only logical suspect in what appears to be a murder.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 90847Oklahoma weather: Severe storm updates
- 38051Oklahoma devastated by second round of twisters
- 17374Oklahoma tornadoes: 'It took it all'
- 16681Oklahoma State football: Limiting Wes Lunt's transfer options makes Mike Gundy look bad
- 13823Oklahoma City tornado so large, may not be recognized, officials say
- 12196Several kids pulled out of Oklahoma school rubble alive
- 11468How to help tornado victims
- 10241At least 51 die in Oklahoma tornado, official says
- 7786Tornado in Oklahoma City suburb causes destruction
- 7769Fatal fire: Two arrested in Oklahoma City death of 7-year-old boy
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients