Age of Ultron #1 review
It’s a story that’s been hinted at for years – a future in which Ultron has taken over the earth. In “Age of Ultron” No. 1 from Marvel Comics, writer Brian Michael Bendis drops readers right in the middle of the carnage, as the Avengers appear defeated and in seclusion, with New York overtaken by some type of robotic monstrosity.
Brilliant double-page spreads by Hitch set up the desolate world. In the first issue, the point of view is primarily Hawkeye’s. As the issue proceeds, the reader sees the depths of hopelessness to which even the Avengers have sunk.
Ultron is an artificial intelligence created by Avenger Hank Pym. It has come into conflict with the Avengers on numerous occasions, each time upgrading its systems for the next time around. In “Age of Ultron,” it appears Ultron has evolved to the point where it may be able to fulfill its objective of taking over the earth. This first part of the 10-part series sets up a world in which Ultron is the ultimate power.
Hitch and inker Paul Neary, as the creators of the “widescreen” look in comics that dates back to “Authority” and “The Ultimates,” re-create that type of look here. The detail of the destroyed city is among the issue’s high points. Starting in the middle puts the reader into the mystery; how that mystery is peeled back over the future issues of “Age of Ultron” will measure how successful this event will be.
The foil cover will be seen by some as a gimmick, but it’s a gimmick I enjoyed. Using a special cover to draw attention to a special storyline – especially when it doesn’t add to the price – is something that I’m OK with.
Some may question where this fits in the overall world of “Marvel NOW,” but I’m willing to wait and see. Everything doesn’t have to be spelled out in the first issue, nor every question answered. For me, “Age of Ultron” has set up an intriguing beginning with the Avengers at a low point. I’m willing to stay on board to see where it goes. “Age of Ultron” No. 1 is on sale now, no. 2 goes on sale March 13.
- Matt Price
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 94547Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 17200OKC Thunder: Kevin Durant tours Moore, meets with residents
- 12970Oklahoma tornadoes: ‘All I could do was sit there and hold her'
- 8745Oklahoma tornadoes: Love for Oklahoma generates big donation
- 8636Line of storms brings flash floods to Oklahoma City area
- 8239How to help tornado victims
- 7488Oklahoma tornadoes: Red Cross text donations not designated for Oklahoma
- 7422Oklahoma tornadoes: Rams quarterback Sam Bradford leading aid effort
- 6833Oklahoma tornadoes: Tornado leaves family members in two hospitals and one dead
- 6608Oklahoma tornado: Names of dead released; missing individuals located
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients