Christmas Flashback: Unusual choices of Wolverine, Blade, Punisher celebrated holiday in 2006
A roundup of holiday tales in 2006 featured some perhaps unexpected holiday-story stars in Wolverine, Blade and Punisher, among others.
Comics companies release specials in time for holidays
By Matthew Price
Published Friday, December 22, 2006
The two largest comics companies are in the holiday spirit this year, with several specials focusing on the Christmas season.
Marvel Comics leads off with three perhaps unlikely holiday stars: Wolverine, Blade and the Punisher.
In “Wolverine” No. 49, a double-size Christmas special titled “Better to Give,” Logan is among the holiday shoppers at a mid-Manhattan department store on Christmas Eve. Unfortunately, the store has been seized by a suicide cult in elf outfits. Wolverine has to save the holiday shoppers, as well as a kidnapped heiress, in time for Christmas.
Meanwhile, Blade, the vampire hunter, is lying low in Bethlehem, Pa., for the holiday.
“Issue No. 4 is definitely a Christmas issue,” writer Mark Guggenheim told www.comicbook resources.com. “I’m a big fan of comic books and TV shows that do Christmas stories, so I jumped at the chance to do one in ‘Blade.’ Issue No. 4 is also the first issue of this run where Blade’s opponent isn’t a vampire. I felt the time was right to mix things up. It appears that Blade’s antagonist is Santa Claus, but not all is necessarily as it seems.”
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 13061Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 11652Oklahoma tornadoes: Cost, custom keep basements scarce
- 5853Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 5268Downtown wish list includes Super Target
- 4547OU softball: Sooners inspired by Casey Angle, run-rule Texas A&M
- 4352Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 4093Oklahoma City pastor will face trial in fatal shooting of son-in law
- 4013How to help tornado victims
- 3642Oklahoma tornadoes: Moore tornado was ninth deadliest in Oklahoma history
- 3374Oklahoma tornadoes: Lack of storm shelters floors newcomers to Tornado Alley
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients