DVD review: Get Smart
In the new “Get Smart,” Max is an analyst with the spy organization CONTROL. While he’s dedicated to his job, he dreams of being a field agent. Previously too heavy to qualify, he’s trained and gotten himself into shape. But the Chief (Alan Arkin) needs Max where he is. So, he’s stuck behind a desk until an attack from KAOS reveals all of CONTROL’s agents. Only Max and Agent 99 (Anne Hathaway), safe because of recent surgery to change her looks, are available to thwart KAOS’s plans for world domination.
Carell on paper seems to be the perfect actor to revive Maxwell Smart, but his character was changed for the movie. Rather than a pompous fool who succeeds nearly by accident, this Maxwell Smart has trained and worked for his opportunities. This makes Agent 99, who doesn’t like Max for much of the film, come off as snobbish rather than competent.
There are a few laughs to be had in “Get Smart,” but it tries harder to be an action film than an action-comedy. Extras on the DVD include a “vomit reel,” if that’s likely to appeal to you.
— Matthew Price
From Friday’s The Oklahoman
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 14589OKC Thunder: Thunder trio praise fans before potential departures
- 8609Oklahoma State football: Todd Monken thinks Wes Lunt should've stayed in Stillwater
- 6402Student shot dead during botched home invasion
- 6393Oklahoma medical examiner reports cause of deaths in Grand Lake boat crash
- 6018Soaring gasoline prices hurt Oklahoma City area retailers
- 5816Oklahoma football: Sooners get pair of commitments
- 4098As Boy Scouts' vote on gay members nears, faith groups weigh in
- 3659Oklahoma weather: Crews work to clear storm damage after tall metal utility polls fall in northwest Oklahoma City
- 3653Oklahoma City Thunder: Amnesty Kendrick Perkins?
- 3418Rockets guard Patrick Beverley bombarded with hateful Tweets after Thunder get eliminated
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients