Retro Thursday: Blue Monday
In June 2001, I talked with Chynna Clugston (then Clugston-Major), of the comic-book series “Blue Monday.” It was one of my favorite comics, mixing influences like “Ranma 1/2″ and “The Apartment” into a witty, oddball mix. The url in the article no longer works for a free sample of “Blue Monday,” but you can download it here, courtesy of Oni Press. A new “Blue Monday” series is scheduled for December.
The following article ran in the Weekend Look section of The Oklahoman on June 22, 2001. I had only been writing “Word Balloons” for The Oklahoman for about four months.
Fans of witty teen films will be grateful for the comics work of Chynna Clugston-Major. Her “Blue Monday” captures the wit and charm of teen-age life portrayed with an exciting, Japanese-influenced style.
“It’s about a group of outcast kids that are completely obnoxious and find themselves endlessly amusing without being self-destructive,” Clugston-Major said.
“They listen to a lot of music, daydream nonstop, are totally hormonally challenged and have a penchant for mischief and pulling pranks on one another.”
“Blue Monday” features the imaginative Bleu Finnegan, a blue-haired sophomore who is obsessed with Adam Ant and Buster Keaton.
Her friends include the temperamental Clover Connelly, recently moved from Ireland, and the hyperactive Erin O’Neil.
Then there are the slightly voyeuristic guys. Victor Gomez, who is alternately in love with each of the girls, is a music fanatic who writes poetry. Rounding out the cast is the argumentative Alan Walsh, first-generation American son of an English family.
“These were the kids at your high school you thought were big losers because they wore the weird clothes and had the bizarre haircuts, and you figured they were probably on glue or smoking banana peels, or both,” Clugston-Major said.
When in high school, she said, outside of the Hernandez brothers’ “Love and Rockets,” Evan Dorkin’s “Hectic Planet,” and Jamie Hewlett’s “Tank Girl,” there weren’t comics she felt were aimed at her age group.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 21368Oklahoma medical examiner reports cause of deaths in Grand Lake boat crash
- 17546Oklahoma City Thunder: Amnesty Kendrick Perkins?
- 12345Rockets guard Patrick Beverley bombarded with hateful Tweets after Thunder get eliminated
- 9430Report: OSU blocking Wes Lunt from transferring to the SEC, Big 12 and Southern Miss
- 9175Oklahoma State football: Todd Monken thinks Wes Lunt should've stayed in Stillwater
- 9080Oklahoma football: Sooners get pair of commitments
- 8212Tulsa man tells police he smashed woman's head in self-defense
- 7912Rx drug bills sent to Oklahoma governor
- 5969OKC Thunder: Thunder trio praise fans before potential departures
- 5028Will a MAPS 4 initiative involve a football stadium downtown?
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients