DVD review: Doctor Who the Complete Fourth Series
Christmas season is as good a time as any to start watching the fourth series of the modern Doctor Who. The madcap David Tennant plays the Doctor, who finds himself spending Christmas aboard the Titanic. But it’s not the classic doomed ship: Someone has remade the vessel as a themed space cruise. Apparently those on board don’t fear the history, but the Doctor discovers this Titanic too is meant to destroy itself. Kylie Minogue guest-stars as Astrid, a waitress aboard the ship who dreams of seeing the galaxy.
As the season proper begins, Donna Noble (Catherine Tate), who first aided the Doctor in the “Runaway Bride” Christmas special in season three, returns as a full-time companion for the Doctor. But while Rose and Martha Jones, previous companions in the relaunched Doctor Who series, grew romantically attached to the Doctor, Donna’s just a friend – something the characters make a point of telling nearly everyone they meet.
The Doctor and Donna see the fall of Pompeii, meet Agatha Christie, and of course travel to far-off planets and times. Overall, Tennant shows why he’s especially suited for the wisecracking, 900-year-old Time Lord, and it’s too bad he’s announced this full season will be his last. The Steven Moffatt-written two-parter, “Silence in the Library” and “the Forest of the Dead” make up the best episodes of the season.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 39102Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 15291Bradley Cooper, Zach Galifianakis, Ed Helms drink in success of 'Hangover' series
- 9778Hobby Lobby argues case before federal judges
- 9437Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 9040Oklahoma tornadoes: Thunder reverses the role, takes a turn at cheering on the community
- 7843Blake Shelton's "Healing the Heartland" televised tornado benefit set for Wednesday at Chesapeake Energy Arena
- 7624Story behind the photo: Family members describe desperate search for one another after EF5 twister
- 7196Carrie Underwood donates $1 million to Red Cross for disaster relief in wake of deadly Oklahoma tornadoes
- 6116Oklahoma tornadoes: Sooners bring back some smiles to Sydney Angle's teammates
- 6096Rock, pop, country acts give talents and time to help Oklahoma tornado victims
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients