Archie Comics to introduce its first openly gay character
Archie Comics is introducing its first openly gay character to the town of Riverdale – Kevin Keller will appear in Veronica #202, set for September release. When Veronica has a crush on the new hunk in town, she can’t figure out why isn’t interested in dating her.
“The introduction of Kevin is just about keeping the world of Archie Comics current and inclusive. Archie’s hometown of Riverdale has always been a safe world for everyone. It just makes sense to have an openly gay character in Archie comic books,” said Archie Comics Co- CEO, Jon Goldwater, in a news release.
Click past the cut for the full release from Archie, and a page of artwork from the issue in which Kevin reveals to Jughead that he is gay.
- Matt Price
New York, NY (April 22, 2010): Archie Comics, home of the famous Riverdale High students Archie, Betty, Veronica, Reggie and Jughead, is about to welcome a new classmate this fall! On September 1st, Kevin Keller, Archie Comics’ first openly gay character, will be welcomed into the town of Riverdale.
“The introduction of Kevin is just about keeping the world of Archie Comics current and inclusive. Archie’s hometown of Riverdale has always been a safe world for everyone. It just makes sense to have an openly gay character in Archie comic books,” stated Archie Comics Co- CEO, Jon Goldwater.
VERONICA #202 features the full-issue story, “Isn’t it Bromantic?” that introduces Kevin, Archie Comics’ first openly gay character. Kevin Keller is the new hunk in town and Veronica just has to have him. After Kevin defeats Jughead in a burger eating contest at Pop’s Chocklit Shoppe, she desperately latches onto him. Mayhem and hilarity ensue as Kevin desperately attempts to let Veronica down easy and her flirtations only become increasingly persistent.
In addition to the new ongoing achievements at Archie Comics—the #4 iPad book app and most downloaded comics on iTunes, the launch of Stan Lee Comics, Archie’s Red Circle superheroes at DC, and exciting new partnerships with Abrams, Dark Horse and IDW—the introduction of Kevin as an openly gay character is part of the commitment to keep Archie properties reflective of the current world of teens and teen media.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 77543Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 16211OKC Thunder: Kevin Durant tours Moore, meets with residents
- 13739Oklahoma tornado: Names of dead released; missing individuals located
- 12057Clippers' Donald Sterling hints coach let go to keep Chris Paul
- 11932Oklahoma tornadoes: ‘All I could do was sit there and hold her'
- 11090Oklahoma tornadoes: Red Cross text donations not designated for Oklahoma
- 11021Oklahoma tornadoes: Oklahoma tornado victims identified
- 9369How to help tornado victims
- 8451Line of storms brings flash floods to Oklahoma City area
- 8284Oklahoma tornadoes: Love for Oklahoma generates big donation
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients