Havok leads government mutants in Peter David’s first run on X-Factor
Peter David took over as writer, with Larry Stroman as artist, of “X-Factor” with issue No. 71 back in 1991.
Showing that renumbering may not have been considered as much of a boost back in the day, even though the concept of the book and cast completely changed, the numbering continued. The book had been the home of the original five X-Men, but with that group re-integrating into the X-Men, “X-Factor” was left without a cast.
David took some castoffs from various X-titles and created the new X-Factor, a government-sponsored team of mutants (replacing the semi-villainous Freedom Force) that was led by Cyclops’ brother, Havok, aka Alex Summers. (Havok got his first big-time movie promotion as part of “X-Men First Class” this summer, though in the comics, he joined the X-Men after Cyclops.)
Havok is joined by his girlfriend, Polaris, former New Mutant Wolfsbane, and some cast-offs from other X-storylines: former bodyguard Strong Guy and former Moira McTaggert ally Jamie Madrox, the Multiple Man. Former villain-turned-Avenger Quicksilver, brother of the Scarlet Witch and son of Magneto, also joined the team. Valerie Cooper is their government handler.
Over 19 issues, the team faces off against X-Men villains including Mister Sinister, and crosses over with the Hulk. Stroman is followed on art by Jae Lee during the X-Cutioner’s Song crossover, and then future Marvel Editor-in-Chief Joe Quesada takes the artistic reins.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 12604Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 10239Oklahoma tornadoes: Cost, custom keep basements scarce
- 9732Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 9189Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 6670Miranda Lambert, Reba McEntire, Vince Gill to join Blake Shelton at "Healing in the Heartland" Oklahoma tornado benefit
- 4472Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 4240Oklahoma tornadoes: Sooners bring back some smiles to Sydney Angle's teammates
- 4180Oklahoma tornadoes: 27 remain hospitalized from tornadoes
- 3744Story behind the photo: Family members describe desperate search for one another after EF5 twister
- 3718Oklahoma tornadoes: Thunder reverses the role, takes a turn at cheering on the community
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients