G.I. Joe, Doomwar among recent comic book reviews
IDW’s reprint series of “G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero” begins in “Classic G.I. Joe vol. 1″ with issues 1-10 from the original Marvel Comics run.
This introduces Duke, Scarlett, Snake Eyes and several others from the original Joe counter-terrorism military team. Issue #2, which features the first appearance of the freelance operative Kwinn, became notable in collecting circles for its relative rarity — the “G.I. Joe effect” became a collecting term for a second issue becoming more collectible than the first.
The stories are enjoyable, if dated, especially for those who were young Joe fans at the time. The foundation set by writer Larry Hama here kicked off one of the most successful comic-book tie-ins to a toy line ever created.
Collected this May, “Doomwar” features Doctor Doom going to all-out war with the Black Panther’s Wakanda, fomenting a revolution from malcontents inside the nation. Doom has his eyes on the nation’s vibranium, a rare, indestructible metal that Doom also believes to have mystic properties. The Panther escapes the country just in time, but must leave his wife, Storm of the X-Men, behind. With help from the X-Men and the Fantastic Four, T’Challa must regain control of his country, ideally without killing his own countrymen, and thwart Doom’s plan. A well-done, action-based story by Jonathan Maberry and Scot Eaton.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 36375Oklahoma weather: Crews work to clear storm damage in Oklahoma City as the state braces for severe weather Sunday.
- 32316Oklahoma Severe Storm Updates
- 24292Oklahoma tornado levels homes in trailer park
- 8069Wild hogs continue to be a growing menace across Oklahoma
- 6178OKC Thunder GM Sam Presti won't amnesty Kendrick Perkins
- 3621College football: Coaches, athletes weigh in on NCAA's suspended recruiting proposals
- 3359Oklahoma City Thunder: What could Serge Ibaka learn from Hakeem Olajuwon?
- 3278Brittney Griner: Kim Mulkey said keep quiet on sexuality
- 3188Student shot dead during botched home invasion
- 3141George Nigh has long been 'Four' Oklahoma
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients