Captain America: The First Avenger takes viewers back to World War II era
A scrawny young man from Brooklyn becomes a star-spangled defender of America in ‚ÄúCaptain America: The First Avenger.‚ÄĚ
Steve Rogers is a patriotic but underweight young man who volunteered for a secret government experiment. The results of the experiment turned him into a super-soldier. In the comics, where he was created by Joe Simon and Jack Kirby in 1940, the hero was ready-made to battle Adolf Hitler and the Axis powers of World War II.
The film ‚ÄúCaptain America: The First Avenger‚ÄĚ will take viewers back to those early days of the Marvel Universe.
Rogers (Chris Evans) is joined by Bucky Barnes (Sebastian Stan) and Peggy Carter (Hayley Atwell) as they face off against the HYDRA terrorist organization, led by the Red Skull (Hugo Weaving).
Chosen from a long list of potential Captains, Evans turned down the role three times before agreeing to become Marvel‚Äôs centerpiece hero. He told Entertainment Weekly he‚Äôs glad he overcame his fears to sign up as the Star Spangled Avenger.
‚ÄúWhen I first put on the suit, I was absolutely terrified. But once I started working, I could just see this was going to be a good experience. Then I started going, ‚ÄėWow. This is really cool,‚Äô‚ÄĚ he told Entertainment Weekly in October. ‚ÄúI can‚Äôt believe I was almost too chicken to play Captain America.‚ÄĚ
Joe Johnston, who directed a well-reviewed superhero period piece more than 20 years ago with ‚ÄúThe Rocketeer,‚ÄĚ is directing the film. The movie leads into 2012‚Ä≤s ‚ÄúThe Avengers,‚ÄĚ which will feature Captain America, Iron Man and Thor and is being directed by Joss Whedon. While it is a piece of that larger Marvel mythology, Marvel Studios President Kevin Feige said at Comic-Con International in 2010 that all of the Marvel films have to work independently, as well.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 402At least 51 die in Oklahoma tornado, official says
- 378Oklahoma devastated by second round of twisters
- 347How to help tornado victims
- 247Read live updates from the May 20 Moore tornado
- 147Several kids pulled out of Oklahoma school rubble alive
- 93Twitter reaction from the sports world on the Moore/OKC tornadoes
- 52Social media used to send prayers and condolences to Oklahoma in wake of deadly tornadoes
- 51Oklahoma twister tracked path of 1999 tornado
- 35High schools: Practices called off long before tornado hit Moore
- 32Expert rips Oklahoma State Bureau of Investigation's handling of murder case
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients