Elvis, Superman, Annette and me
It’s August 16, 2012. Thirty-five years ago, Elvis Presley died at his home in Graceland. I was 2 years old.
I became a fan of Elvis after his death, mostly because of my mom, who was, and is, a huge Elvis fan. I wrote about that last year. My wife and I still enjoy Elvis, and we’ve even introduced our kids to his music to some degree, as has their grandmother.
Fifteen years ago was August 16, 1997, the 20th anniversary of Elvis’ death. Coincidentally or not, that’s the date the Superman story “Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow?” by Alan Moore takes place. This is very possibly my favorite Superman story of all time. It’s also a favorite of my wife, Annette, who enjoys the Silver Age Superman.
For me, the most personally important thing to happen on Aug. 16, with all due respect to Elvis and Superman, was marrying the former Annette Berry. This was also on Aug. 16, 1997.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 90847Oklahoma weather: Severe storm updates
- 47098Oklahoma tornadoes: 'It took it all'
- 38051Oklahoma devastated by second round of twisters
- 30921Oklahoma State football: Limiting Wes Lunt's transfer options makes Mike Gundy look bad
- 13823Oklahoma City tornado so large, may not be recognized, officials say
- 12196Several kids pulled out of Oklahoma school rubble alive
- 11468How to help tornado victims
- 10724Oklahoma weather: Crews work to clear storm damage in Oklahoma City as the state braces for severe weather Sunday.
- 10241At least 51 die in Oklahoma tornado, official says
- 8728Bounty hunters look for bail jumpers, fugitives on the streets of Oklahoma City
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients