Hunger Games-style scenario features young Marvel heroes in Marvel NOW! series Avengers Arena
Writer Dennis Hopeless (“X-Men: Season One”) teams with artist Kev Walker (“Thunderbolts”) for a new ongoing series, “Avengers Arena,” that’s part of the Marvel NOW! initiative.
Here’s how Marvel described the series in a news release:
Trapped on an isolated island, 16 superhuman young adults (including members of the Runaways, The Avengers Academy and Darkhawk) are given a chilling ultimatum by their demented captor: Fight or die…only one will walk out alive! Thus begins a primal battle that will test the skills, stamina and morals of each combatant. Welcome to Murder World, where the secrets are plenty, alliances are fleeting, and the key to victory might be rewriting the rules of the game. Who will survive?
“These kids were chosen carefully and with specific story beats in mind. We definitely plan on taking advantage of the broad personality spectrum we have in play,” said Dennis Hopeless in an interview with Marvel.com. “Even the characters who die off early make their mark on the story. I didn’t throw anyone into the book as cannon fodder.”
The story, which seems to have some similarities to “The Hunger Games” or “Battle Royale,” will feature a large cast of Marvel characters with no place to hide.
“There is no safe base, no refuge, no cavalry to come charging over the hill. The contestants’ every moment is watched, manipulated and controlled,” said Kev Walker in an interview with Marvel.com. “This is up close and personal, more intimate than any other book out there, because it’s just us and them.”
Each issue of “Avengers Arena” will feature additional content through Marvel’s AR app.
“Avengers Arena is one of the most exciting new launches in Marvel NOW!, really embracing the idea of giving fans a new look at the Marvel Universe and showing the deadly results,” said Axel Alonso, Editor in Chief, Marvel Entertainment. “Dennis and Kev have created a series that’s going to leave readers salivating for the next issue, with so many twists and turns that no one can predict where it’s going. They’re also introducing some all-new characters that we’re certain will become instant favorites, like the enigmatic Deathlocket and the mysterious Braddock Academy.”
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 16859Oklahoma storms: Profile of Life: Megan and Case Futrell
- 12191OKC Central: Architectural "Worsts"
- 11527'Firehouse' in Oklahoma City's Deep Deuce is set to become new home
- 11272Live blog: "The Voice" Season 4 live finale - performance episode
- 11209Norman man threatens Oklahoma Gov. Fallin's 'child' and local sheriff in emails
- 9827Police shoot, kill man holding child hostage in Midwest City
- 7998Was Special Treatment Given in Oklahoma Vice Mayor DUI Traffic Stop?
- 6986Red meat might be delicious, but not as nutritious
- 6951Brad Lund granted two-year lease to Taft Stadium for soccer team
- 5788Oklahoma Corrections Department director to resign
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients