“Avengers” makes record $100 million in second weekend
The AP reports that “Marvel’s The Avengers” made a second-weekend record $103.2 million to lead the box office again. The film’s domestic total is $373.2 million, according to studio estimates Sunday, the AP reports. The film’s worldwide box office has now passed $1 billion.
The film, based on the Marvel comics, stars Robert Downey Jr. as Tony Stark, aka Iron Man; Chris Evans as Captain America; Chris Hemsworth as Thor and Mark Ruffalo as Bruce Banner. Directed by Joss Whedon, the film ties together threads from the five previous Marvel Studios movies.
“The Avengers” becomes the first movie to break the $100 million mark domestically in its second weekend. James Cameron’s “Avatar” previously had the record, at $75.6 million.
Another record now owned by “The Avengers” is fastest to $300 million domestically, which “The Avengers” reached in nine days, breaking the 10 days it took “The Dark Knight.”
The Dark Knight will get a chance to rise again, as the third Christopher Nolan Batman film, “The Dark Knight Rises,” is set for this summer, as is a new Spider-Man installment, “The Amazing Spider-Man.”
Both of those properties have traditionally had strong box-office takes.
- Matt Price
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 36901Oklahoma weather: Crews work to clear storm damage in Oklahoma City as the state braces for severe weather Sunday.
- 36295Oklahoma tornadoes: 'It took it all'
- 32626Oklahoma Severe Storm Updates
- 8549Wild hogs continue to be a growing menace across Oklahoma
- 5487OKC Thunder GM Sam Presti won't amnesty Kendrick Perkins
- 4132Oklahoma City Thunder: What could Serge Ibaka learn from Hakeem Olajuwon?
- 4021Oklahoma State football: Limiting Wes Lunt's transfer options makes Mike Gundy look bad
- 3510College football: Coaches, athletes weigh in on NCAA's suspended recruiting proposals
- 3369George Nigh has long been 'Four' Oklahoma
- 3261Brittney Griner: Kim Mulkey said keep quiet on sexuality
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients