Happy Geek/Nerd Pride Day!
If you’re a regular reader of Nerdage, you probably should be celebrating Geek/Nerd Pride Day. May 25 marks the annual celebration of the day, which is the date the first “Star Wars” film was released.
According to the Facebook page:
Apparently, it originated in Spain. You go Spanish nerds. In addition, it falls on the anniversary of the original Star Wars film.
In 2008, Geek Pride Day came to America and in 2009, Canada.
And if your particular brand of geekery is Douglas Adams-related, it’s apparently also Towel Day.
“Towel Day is celebrated every May 25 as a tribute by fans of the late author Douglas Adams. The commemoration was first held in 2001, two weeks after his death on May 11, and since then has been extended to an annual event. On this day, fans carry a towel with them throughout the day. The towel is a reference to Adams’s popular science fiction comedy series The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy.”
I won’t be rocking a towel, but I am planning to read some comic books and watch some “Star Wars” today. Hope you can similarly enjoy your own particular brand of nerdage today. If you’d like, share what you’re doing in the comments!
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 402At least 51 die in Oklahoma tornado, official says
- 378Oklahoma devastated by second round of twisters
- 347How to help tornado victims
- 247Read live updates from the May 20 Moore tornado
- 147Several kids pulled out of Oklahoma school rubble alive
- 93Twitter reaction from the sports world on the Moore/OKC tornadoes
- 52Social media used to send prayers and condolences to Oklahoma in wake of deadly tornadoes
- 51Oklahoma twister tracked path of 1999 tornado
- 35High schools: Practices called off long before tornado hit Moore
- 32Expert rips Oklahoma State Bureau of Investigation's handling of murder case
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients