“Gremlins” and “Gremlins 2″ Blu-ray review
“Gremlins” became a surprise hit in 1984, when the movie, based on a spec script from Chris Columbus, ended up as the No. 4-grossing film of the year.
Hoyt Axton plays a traveling inventor and salesman who buys a furry creature as a Christmas present for his son Billy (Zach Galligan). The Mogwai, bought from a basement shop in Chinatown, comes with three rules: 1. Keep him away from bright lights and out of the sunlight; 2. Keep him away from water; and 3. Don’t feed him after midnight.
The cute creature, called Gizmo, is accidentally doused with water by Billy’s young friend Pete (Corey Feldman), which causes Gizmo to reproduce. The new Mogwais seem more mischievous, and once they trick Billy into feeding them after midnight, they become rampaging Gremlins, out to destroy the town.
The movie mixes comedy with horror, as director Joe Dante slyly satirizes consumerism and small-town culture. The film was considered violent for a PG film of the time — it, along with “Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom,” helped galvanize the push for the PG-13 rating.
The Blu-ray is an improvement from the DVD release, though there are some flaws evident in the picture. Special features include two commentary tracks, deleted scenes, a vintage making-of featurette, stills and trailers.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 54539Read live updates from the May 20 Moore tornado
- 32179Oklahoma devastated by second round of twisters
- 12196Several kids pulled out of Oklahoma school rubble alive
- 11468How to help tornado victims
- 10241At least 51 die in Oklahoma tornado, official says
- 9189Oklahoma City tornado so large, may not be recognized, officials say
- 7786Tornado in Oklahoma City suburb causes destruction
- 5720Police: School near OKC directly hit by tornado
- 3989Oklahoma weather: Crews work to clear storm damage in Oklahoma City as the state braces for severe weather Sunday.
- 2759Oklahoma tornadoes: 'It took it all'
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients