DVD review: The Adventures of the Galaxy Rangers, Vol. 1
From Friday’s The Oklahoman:
One of the earlier manga-inspired animated series, “The Adventures of the Galaxy Rangers” mixed science fiction with Westerns to create an action-packed and innovative 1980s cartoon. One part “Robotech” and one part “High Plains Drifter,” the “Galaxy Rangers” series featured space lawmen fighting for Earth and the rights of Earthmen.
Like the “Seven Samurai,” the four Rangers who star in “Galaxy Rangers” also have a mission — to protect friendly aliens from destruction by the forces of the Queen of the Crown.
The four lead Galaxy Rangers are part of “Series Five,” indicating their special abilities. Zachery Fox (Jerry Orbach) is the leader, with bionic implants including a laser arm.
Science-fiction writers Brian Daley (“Fall of the White Ship Avatar,” “Star Wars: The Han Solo Trilogy”) and Tom DeHaven (“It’s Superman”) provided stories for “Rangers,” with writing that was ahead of its time for American animation.
“Galaxy Rangers” attempted to do a different type of show in an era where toy tie-ins were the end-all of television animation. As such, it ran for just 65 episodes (32 are included on this collection), but has remained popular with dedicated fans.
— Matthew Price
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 15991OKC Central: Architectural "Worsts"
- 14570Oklahoma storms: Profile of Life: Megan and Case Futrell
- 9562Oklahoma baseball: Joe Simpson 'thrilled' that Sunny Golloway left OU
- 9374Was Special Treatment Given in Oklahoma Vice Mayor DUI Traffic Stop?
- 9102'Firehouse' in Oklahoma City's Deep Deuce is set to become new home
- 8275Classen School of Advanced Studies valedictorian disappears while hiking with family in Ecuador
- 7661Live blog: "The Voice" Season 4 live finale
- 7564Norman man threatens Oklahoma Gov. Fallin's 'child' and local sheriff in emails
- 7457Two teacher programs at Oklahoma universities called ineffective
- 7060Red meat might be delicious, but not as nutritious
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients