X-Men/Avengers: Search and Destroy, the Gamma Quest Trilogy book 2 review
In the second part of Greg Cox’s X-Men/Avengers trilogy, “Search and Destroy,” the Avengers, X-Men and the Hulk put aside their differences following a melee at Niagara Falls at the conclusion of book 1. This 1999 novel continues the “Gamma Quest” story.
The Beast, who has been a member of both teams, appealed to the scientific knowledge of Bruce Banner. While the Hulk in this story is intelligent, he doesn’t like being reminded of Banner. But he agrees to work with the Avengers and X-Men when he determines the Leader, a super-intelligent, gamma-powered longtime foe of the Hulk, is likely behind the disappearance of the Scarlet Witch and Rogue.
After Iron Man repairs the Vision, damaged in the battle with the Hulk, the group again splits up into two factions — the Hulk, now working with the X-Men and Avengers, joins Iron Man, Storm and Wolverine in response to a distress call from Moira MacTaggart in Scotland. (Readers of the first book will remember Wolverine was captured by the Leader in book 1, though neither the X-Men nor Avengers know this. So who is this Wolverine?)
While researching the Legacy Virus, scientist MacTaggart, and friends Nightcrawler and Iceman of the X-Men, come under attack from the Gamma Sentinels, stolen SHIELD developments that can mimic gamma-powered heroes and villains.
Cyclops, Captain America and Vision head to the Leader’s last known location, the hidden city of Freehold, where they come into contact with that city’s defenders, the Riot Squad, and its new leader, Omnibus. While Omnibus is sympathetic to the Leader’s goals, he believes the Leader to be dead.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 24367Oklahoma weather: Crews work to clear storm damage in Oklahoma City as the state braces for severe weather Sunday.
- 12839Oklahoma Severe Storm Updates
- 7010OKC Thunder GM Sam Presti won't amnesty Kendrick Perkins
- 5994OKC Thunder: Thunder trio praise fans before potential departures
- 5476Wild hogs continue to be a growing menace across Oklahoma
- 5061Student shot dead during botched home invasion
- 3886Oklahoma State football: Todd Monken thinks Wes Lunt should've stayed in Stillwater
- 3822Oklahoma medical examiner reports cause of deaths in Grand Lake boat crash
- 3626Four burning questions - Was the Thunder's season a failure?
- 3264Brittney Griner: Kim Mulkey said keep quiet on sexuality
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients