DVD review: Robin of Sherwood, the Complete Collection
The adventurer Robin Hood gets a mystical slant in “Robin of Sherwood,” the 1980s version of the legend.
Michael Praed stars as Robin of Loxley, chosen by the supernatural “Herne the Hunter” to protect the forests and aid the weak. Loxley gathers his band of Merry Men, including Scarlet (Ray Winstone. “Sexy Beast”) and Little John (Clive Mantle).
They fight the oppression of the Sheriff of Nottingham (Nickolas Grace, “Brideshead Revisted”) and Guy of Gisburne (Robert Addie).
The film was shot on location in English castles, adding to the authenticity. The haircut of Praed and the music of Irish band Clannad probably date the programs, today, but they still stand up as one of the best interpretations of the legend.
“Robin of Sherwood” covers two of the main variants of the “Robin Hood” tale — Robert of Huntingdon, a nobleman, replaces Loxley as Robin Hood after Praed left the show. Thus, the Robin Hood of the series was in turn, a commoner and a displaced nobleman. In another interesting twist, Huntingdon was played by Jason Connery, son of Sean Connery, who himself played Robin Hood in 1976′s “Robin and Marian.”
— Matthew Price
(From the Sept. 26 The Oklahoman)
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 88132Read live updates from the May 20 Moore tornado
- 35601Oklahoma devastated by second round of twisters
- 13823Oklahoma City tornado so large, may not be recognized, officials say
- 12196Several kids pulled out of Oklahoma school rubble alive
- 11468How to help tornado victims
- 10241At least 51 die in Oklahoma tornado, official says
- 7786Tornado in Oklahoma City suburb causes destruction
- 5828Oklahoma weather: Crews work to clear storm damage in Oklahoma City as the state braces for severe weather Sunday.
- 5720Police: School near OKC directly hit by tornado
- 4402Oklahoma State football: Limiting Wes Lunt's transfer options makes Mike Gundy look bad
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients