Grant Morrison’s “Batman and Robin” gives heroes new roles
Former Robin (and Nightwing) Dick Grayson took over for his mentor in “Batman and Robin” 1-16 by Grant Morrison. The dynamic of the Batman and Robin team is flipped from the traditional: Batman is the more upbeat hero, while young Damian Wayne, the 10-year-old son of Bruce Wayne, is a grim and determined (if bratty) avenger.
It makes for great Batman-Robin interplay in a way we haven’t seen before. Add a new flying Batmobile, a new Batcave and some new, creepy villains, and you have the makings of a classic run.
Morrison teams up with his “All-Star Superman” and “New X-Men” collaborator, artist Frank Quitely, for the first three issues of “Batman and Robin.” Other artists on the run included Philip Tan, Cameron Stewart, Andy Clarke and Frazer Irving.
Other recently read Batman issues.
Batman Adventures 1-2 (1992)
The Joker manipulates the Penguin and Catwoman into being his pawns in these two issues, based on the award-winning animated series.
Tales of the Batman: Gene Colan Vol. 1
DC Comics recently collected the atmospheric art of Gene Colan’s Batman into this volume. It’s not comprehensive, but it does provide a good snapshot of Colan’s work in the early 1980s. This volume contains Batman 340, 343-345 and 348-351 and Detective Comics 517, 520, 528 and 529. The storylines bounce around from book to book, and occasionally some story beats are resolved in uncollected issues, but it still makes for a nice, readable volume with amazing artwork. Roy Thomas, Gerry Conway and Doug Moench are among the writers in this volume — the Moench stories are probably the standouts.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 100558Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 15302OKC Thunder: Kevin Durant tours Moore, meets with residents
- 13338Oklahoma tornadoes: ‘All I could do was sit there and hold her'
- 8709Line of storms brings flash floods to Oklahoma City area
- 8075Oklahoma tornadoes: Love for Oklahoma generates big donation
- 8036How to help tornado victims
- 7986Oklahoma tornadoes: Rams quarterback Sam Bradford leading aid effort
- 6703Oklahoma tornadoes: Oklahoma singer packs tour bus with donations for storm victims
- 6459Oklahoma tornadoes: Red Cross text donations not designated for Oklahoma
- 5978Oklahoma tornadoes: Tornado leaves family members in two hospitals and one dead
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients