Final issue of Planetary ships today
The final issue of Warren Ellis and John Cassaday’s “Planetary” ships to stores today. The series debuted in April 1999 and has been a critically acclaimed and Eisner-nominated comic book throughout its run. The much-delayed series features an organization tracking down the world’s secret history. “Indiana Jones meets the X-Files” was what I used to pitch people on the series at my comic book store, where Planetary along with “The Authority,” also by Warren Ellis, were among my favorite books of 1999.
In fact, the WildStorm of 1999 was something of a reader’s paradise, especially for someone like me, with a fascination for pulps and superheroes. In addition to Ellis, Alan Moore was creating the America’s Best Comics line for WildStorm, with Tom Strong, Promethea and others. In retrospect, we should have known it was too good to last. But in 1999, my first full year of owning a comic book store, it seemed the future was at our fingertips, and brilliant, wonderfully illustrated comic books would be ours forever.
This is not to knock what there is today; there are great comic books coming out all the time, anymore. Just this year, we’ve had Asterios Polyp, A.D.: After the Deluge, The Big Kahn, The Photographer, and I’m sure lots more I’m not thinking of at the moment.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 46110Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 14982Bradley Cooper, Zach Galifianakis, Ed Helms drink in success of 'Hangover' series
- 9556Hobby Lobby argues case before federal judges
- 8109Oklahoma tornadoes: Thunder reverses the role, takes a turn at cheering on the community
- 7765Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 7102Rock, pop, country acts give talents and time to help Oklahoma tornado victims
- 7082Blake Shelton's "Healing the Heartland" televised tornado benefit set for Wednesday at Chesapeake Energy Arena
- 6778Carrie Underwood donates $1 million to Red Cross for disaster relief in wake of deadly Oklahoma tornadoes
- 6425Story behind the photo: Family members describe desperate search for one another after EF5 twister
- 5726How to help tornado victims
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients