Batman: The Animated Series inspired “The Batman Adventures”
In 1992, “The Batman Adventures,” inspired by Batman: The Animated Series, began its run at DC Comics. Originally planned as a six-issue miniseries, the comic went on to run for 36 issues plus three annuals.
I recently re-read issues 1-12 of the series, which provide accessible, enjoyable done-in-one Batman tales (with some continuing plots or subplots).
The first three issues feature various members of Batman’s rogues gallery being convinced to commit small crimes for another key villain. Dick Grayson as Robin gets a prominent role in issues 4 and 5, featuring Scarecrow. And issue 6 is a locked-room mystery that puts Bruce Wayne under arrest on a murder complaint.
One of DC’s big launches for 2010, this features the 12 characters brought back to life in the “Blackest Night” series, and the mystery behind their revival. Collected in three hardcover books, “Brightest Day” follows Aquaman, Martian Manhunter, Firestorm, Hawkman, Hawkgirl, Deadman, Jade, Osiris, Hawk, Captain Boomerang and Zoom as they each try to complete the mission laid out by the White Lantern Entity. The series did a nice job of developing these characters and setting up a new status quo. However, the DC reboot may have made some of the continuity clearing seem somewhat less important. The ending, while important to those who follow DC’s publishing plans, doesn’t feel completely tied to what came before. Still, the series has its moments, and gives the 12 returned characters, especially Deadman, a chance to shine.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 17023OKC Central: Architectural "Worsts"
- 16448Oklahoma baseball: Joe Simpson 'thrilled' that Sunny Golloway left OU
- 12708Oklahoma storms: Profile of Life: Megan and Case Futrell
- 12580Classen School of Advanced Studies valedictorian disappears while hiking with family in Ecuador
- 9471Was Special Treatment Given in Oklahoma Vice Mayor DUI Traffic Stop?
- 7819Live blog: "The Voice" Season 4 live finale
- 7691Two teacher programs at Oklahoma universities called ineffective
- 7125Red meat might be delicious, but not as nutritious
- 6963Train engineer's vision problems led to deadly Oklahoma wreck, NTSB rules
- 6749Oklahoma State football: Mike Gundy lifts Wes Lunt restrictions, but too late
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients