Final Stan Lee, Jack Kirby collaborations found in Essential Fantastic Four vol. 5
“Essential Fantastic Four, Volume 5″ collects issues #84-110 of what was called at the time “The World’s Greatest Comic Magazine.” Stan Lee and Jack Kirby, who had collaborated on the book since issue #1, end their partnership here with issue #102. (Previous Kirby art was reworked for #108.) John Romita Sr. and John Buscema follow the King, but despite their talents, never reach his heights on the series.
These issues are probably the least of the Lee-Kirby FFs — Doom’s a bit out of character in a multi-part story, and there are some apparent plotholes involving the Inhumans. But there’s enough here to make it worth reading, especially for Kirby fans. The best of the lot is probably the four part story in #90-93 in which the Thing becomes a gladiator on an alien world.
Amazing Spider-Man #5: One of my favorite comics as a youngster (I had the Marvel Tales reprint) features Doctor Doom challenging Spider-Man.
Fantastic Four: The Lost Adventure: Using the original pencils Jack Kirby had turned in, which later were rearranged to partially make issue #108, Marvel released this “lost” Lee-Kirby issue in 2008.
- Matt Price
Comics read in 2011: 1,725. Still to go: 286.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 42155Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 15090Bradley Cooper, Zach Galifianakis, Ed Helms drink in success of 'Hangover' series
- 9670Hobby Lobby argues case before federal judges
- 8506Oklahoma tornadoes: Thunder reverses the role, takes a turn at cheering on the community
- 8490Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 7696Rock, pop, country acts give talents and time to help Oklahoma tornado victims
- 7550Blake Shelton's "Healing the Heartland" televised tornado benefit set for Wednesday at Chesapeake Energy Arena
- 6946Story behind the photo: Family members describe desperate search for one another after EF5 twister
- 6921Carrie Underwood donates $1 million to Red Cross for disaster relief in wake of deadly Oklahoma tornadoes
- 5498Oklahoma tornadoes: Sooners bring back some smiles to Sydney Angle's teammates
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients