Matt Price’s best comic-book series of 2009
The split between periodical comics and graphic novels is becoming more like the gap between TV and film. Most comic books are being collected in book-length editions, just as episodic TV is being gathered in box sets for DVD. Monthly comic books still lean toward superheroes, influencing the lion’s share of sales in many comic stores. The following are 2009′s best 10 periodical comic books.
1.“Unwritten”: Mike Carey and Peter Gross create the story of Tom Taylor, whose father created the popular Tommy Taylor novels about a boy wizard. After his father’s disappearance, Tom becomes a low-level celebrity, signing the books that star the character named after him. But one day he discovers his father’s stories may be more real than he knew.
2.“Irredeemable”: Mark Waid (“Fantastic Four”) and Peter Krause (“Power of Shazam”) create a story in which the world’s greatest hero goes bad. Explaining why and how superhero The Plutonian turned to the dark side has been one of 2009′s best comics.
3.“Superman Secret Origin”: Writer Geoff Johns and artist Gary Frank
4.“Chew”: Cibopathic detective Tony Chu gets psychic impressions from whatever he eats. This has led to a vegetarian lifestyle, but when he chomps on a suspect to find out the whereabouts of the victim, he attracts the attention of the Special Crimes Division of the Food and Drug Administration.
5.“Supergirl”: Writer Sterling Gates, a Tulsa native, and artist Jamal Igle kept the mystery cooking of who the seemingly super-powered Superwoman was for much of 2009 in the pages
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 14589OKC Thunder: Thunder trio praise fans before potential departures
- 8609Oklahoma State football: Todd Monken thinks Wes Lunt should've stayed in Stillwater
- 6402Student shot dead during botched home invasion
- 6393Oklahoma medical examiner reports cause of deaths in Grand Lake boat crash
- 6018Soaring gasoline prices hurt Oklahoma City area retailers
- 5816Oklahoma football: Sooners get pair of commitments
- 4098As Boy Scouts' vote on gay members nears, faith groups weigh in
- 3659Oklahoma weather: Crews work to clear storm damage after tall metal utility polls fall in northwest Oklahoma City
- 3653Oklahoma City Thunder: Amnesty Kendrick Perkins?
- 3418Rockets guard Patrick Beverley bombarded with hateful Tweets after Thunder get eliminated
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients