OSU softball: OSU 10, Samford 5
FROM THE OSU ATHLETICS OFFICE
Cowgirls Hit Their Way Past Bulldogs
OSU softball wins first game of the day, 10-5 against Samford
LAS CRUCES, N.M. — Oklahoma State had 12 hits, including a home run and three doubles, to beat the Samford Bulldogs 10-5 in the first Cowgirl game of the Troy Cox Classic.
The Cowgirls (8-4) got an early lead in the first inning. The first three batters each reached on a hit and senior Kim Kaye hit the ball over the right field fence for a grand slam, her sixth home run of the season, to make the score 4-0.
The Bulldogs (4-7) tried to respond in the second with a solo home run by Emily Deaux. They scored again in the third when Metcalf hit a triple down the left field line and scored on a sacrifice bunt.
Oklahoma State’s bats came back alive in the fourth inning as they batted through the line up and scored five runs off five hits. The first eight of nine batters reached base, including a double by Katelyn Bright scoring two, a double by Heather Kim scoring two, and a double by Alysia Hamilton scoring one. Hamilton would single one more in during the sixth.
Samford scored another two runs in the sixth and one more in the seventh, but it wasn’t enough and the Cowgirls won 10-5.
Sophomore Anna Whiddon started in the circle for the Cowgirls and pitched three innings allowing two runs off four hits. Freshman Sarah Odom took over in the fourth inning, allowing four hits and two earned runs. She got the win and improves to 5-1 on the season.
Samford’s starting pitcher was Kayla Burris and she is now 2-2 on the season.
The Cowgirls will play their second game of the day at 4:30 p.m. MT against tournament host New Mexico State.
Oklahoma State 10, Samford 5
Samford 011 002 1 - 5 8 1
Oklahoma State 400 501 x - 10 12 1
Burris, Royall (3), Carter (3) and Deaux. Whiddon, Odom (4) and Wagner.
WP: Odom (5-1). LP: Burris (2-2).
2B: OSU-Bright, Kim, Hamilton; SAM-Jordan. 3B: SAM-Metcalf. HR: OSU-Kaye (6), Deaux.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 11753Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 10515Oklahoma tornadoes: Cost, custom keep basements scarce
- 9760Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 9740Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 6752Miranda Lambert, Reba McEntire, Vince Gill to join Blake Shelton at "Healing in the Heartland" Oklahoma tornado benefit
- 4200Oklahoma tornadoes: 27 remain hospitalized from tornadoes
- 4065Oklahoma tornadoes: Sooners bring back some smiles to Sydney Angle's teammates
- 3847Downtown wish list includes Super Target
- 3762Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 3552OU softball: Sooners inspired by Casey Angle, run-rule Texas A&M
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients