By Mike Baldwin
Oklahoma State received its first football commitment for its 2009 class on Monday when Tulsa Union running back Jeremy Smith made a verbal pledge to the Cowboys. Smith is ranked the No. 70 player in the country, regardless of position, by Rivals, and is regarded as one of the nation’s top 10 running backs.
It’s a big first commitment for the Cowboys, who will have junior college transfer Beau Johnson and sophomore Kendall Hunter as their top two running backs next season. By the time Smith arrives on campus in the summer of 2009, there will be good competition at running back with Keith Toston and Kye Staley. Smith, though, figures to be in the mix as a true freshman. He’s regarded as that big a talent.
Ranked the No. 2 player in the state of Oklahoma, Smith is a 4-star running back who can pound for yards up the middle with his 197-pound frame but also has breakaway speed. He rushed for 1,748 yards and 20 touchdowns last year at Union, which finished as the state runner-up in Class 6A behind Jenks.
After compiling what essentially has been three consecutive top 25 recruiting classes in 2006, 2007 and 2008 the Cowboys 2009 class is off to a nice start 11 months in advance.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 12097Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 11309Oklahoma tornadoes: Cost, custom keep basements scarce
- 6870Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 6485Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 4833Downtown wish list includes Super Target
- 4317OU softball: Sooners inspired by Casey Angle, run-rule Texas A&M
- 3653Oklahoma City pastor will face trial in fatal shooting of son-in law
- 3565Oklahoma tornadoes: Moore tornado was ninth deadliest in Oklahoma history
- 3534How to help tornado victims
- 3145Miranda Lambert, Reba McEntire, Vince Gill to join Blake Shelton at "Healing in the Heartland" Oklahoma tornado benefit
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients