Football… it’s almost here
By Scott Wright
We’re still two days away from turning the calendar to August, but only one day away from Cowboy football practice. I can’t tell you how much that excites me.
To get you primed, here are a few thoughts on what to watch for over the next week or so both on the field and in The Oklahoman.
Thursday’s paper will tell you why coach Mike Gundy is stressing the need to find a backup quarterback so quickly. It might seem odd at first thought, but figuring out who will back up Zac Robinson really is a pressing need when you have two guys who haven’t taken a meaningful snap.
Along with that, I’ll break down a few of the QB recruits Gundy and Co. are chasing for 2009. And yes, Tyrik Rollison of Sulphur Springs, Texas, is on the top of the list.
Later this week, we’ll talk to Brandon Pettigrew about a variety of subjects — what he learned from his run-in with the law, his thoughts on the NFL and the upcoming season.
In my opinion, one of the most interesting subjects to keep an eye on throughout August will be redshirt freshman defensive end Richetti Jones. He was one of the top defensive ends in the country and the gem of Gundy’s 2007 recruiting class, but will he live up to expectations?
He’s a gifted player, but Gundy told me “he’ll get his butt kicked” by Big 12 opponents this year. So camp will be important for Jones as he tries to figure out how to capitalize on his talents.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 101218Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 15357OKC Thunder: Kevin Durant tours Moore, meets with residents
- 13402Oklahoma tornadoes: ‘All I could do was sit there and hold her'
- 8724Line of storms brings flash floods to Oklahoma City area
- 8110How to help tornado victims
- 8098Oklahoma tornadoes: Love for Oklahoma generates big donation
- 8041Oklahoma tornadoes: Rams quarterback Sam Bradford leading aid effort
- 6720Oklahoma tornadoes: Oklahoma singer packs tour bus with donations for storm victims
- 6515Oklahoma tornadoes: Red Cross text donations not designated for Oklahoma
- 5990Oklahoma tornadoes: Tornado leaves family members in two hospitals and one dead
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients