Cowboys at the US Amateur
By Ray Martin
Four out of the five Oklahoma State golfers in the United States Amateur advanced to the second round of match play Wednesday at the par 70 Pinehurst No. 2 in Village of Pinehurst, N.C.
All five OSU players might have made it, had two of them not been playing against each other.
Freshman Peter Uihlein beat senior teammate Trent Leon 1 up to advance to today’s second round. The two were all square after 12 holes, but Uihlein won the 13th and the 15th to secure the win.
“It’s hard playing a friend like Trent,” Uihlein said. “And it’s tough beating a teammate like that. He didn’t play particularly well, and I just happened to come out on top.”
Uihlein and Leon have been friends for the better part of a decade. They both went to IMG David Leadbetter Golf Academy in Florida before Leon left for OSU.
Uihlein has yet to attend his first class, as classes started Monday in Stillwater.
“Missing school isn’t so bad, but you’d like to make a good impression on the teachers,” Uihlein said, laughing. “It won’t easy making up all that work.”
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 96583Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 17286OKC Thunder: Kevin Durant tours Moore, meets with residents
- 13078Oklahoma tornadoes: ‘All I could do was sit there and hold her'
- 8797Oklahoma tornadoes: Love for Oklahoma generates big donation
- 8670Line of storms brings flash floods to Oklahoma City area
- 8388How to help tornado victims
- 7627Oklahoma tornadoes: Rams quarterback Sam Bradford leading aid effort
- 7620Oklahoma tornadoes: Red Cross text donations not designated for Oklahoma
- 6948Oklahoma tornadoes: Tornado leaves family members in two hospitals and one dead
- 6645Oklahoma tornado: Names of dead released; missing individuals located
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients