Hoffmann the last Cowboy standing
After 36 holes Thursday, only one Oklahoma State Cowboy is left standing at the U.S. Amateur.
Freshman Morgan Hoffmann won both of his matches 2 and 1 Thursday to advance to this morning’s round, which includes the final eight players at the par 70 No. 2 course at Pinehurst Country Club in Village of Pinehurst, N.C.
Hoffmann tees off at 9:30 a.m. today against New Zealand’s Danny Lee.
“Now I have to represent OSU all by myself,” Hoffmann said. “It’s exciting, but I wish my teammates were still here.”
Hoffmann was one of four Cowboys still in the tournament to start the day. But freshman Peter Uihlein lost his morning match, and sophomores Kevin Tway and Rickie Fowler were eliminated in the afternoon round. Tway lost on the 22nd hole to Louisville’s Derek Fathauer.
Tway is no stranger to USGA events. He won the 2005 U.S. Junior Amateur, and qualified for this year’s U.S. Open.
Hoffmann was one down after six holes, but won the 7th, 8th and 9th holes to go 2 up. The New Jersey native is playing in his third U.S. Amateur. He was eliminated in the opening round of the previous two.
“It’s the biggest stage I’ve played on,” he said. “But I’m really comfortable with the course, and I don’t let anything around me affect the way I play.”
By Ray Martin
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 10801Oklahoma tornadoes: Cost, custom keep basements scarce
- 10490Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 10422Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 9824Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 6498Miranda Lambert, Reba McEntire, Vince Gill to join Blake Shelton at "Healing in the Heartland" Oklahoma tornado benefit
- 4191Downtown wish list includes Super Target
- 4093Oklahoma tornadoes: 27 remain hospitalized from tornadoes
- 3771OU softball: Sooners inspired by Casey Angle, run-rule Texas A&M
- 3668Oklahoma tornadoes: Sooners bring back some smiles to Sydney Angle's teammates
- 3566How to help tornado victims
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients