Mike Gundy and the defense
By Scott Wright
It’s becoming less and less clear how Mike Gundy will manage his team in 2009.
A couple weeks ago, I asked Gundy if he thought he’d be calling plays again next year, and he said he wasn’t sure.
A few days later, offensive coordinator Gunter Brewer pulled his name out of contention for a job at Minnesota where he would have been the play-caller to stay at a place where he didn’t call plays.
And a few days after that came this quote from new defensive coodinator Bill Young when asked what he thought Gundy’s involvement with the defense would be: “He will be involved with the defense all week long. During games, he’ll be focused in on calling the offensive plays, but from Sunday until Saturday morning he’ll be involved defensively, too.”
Granted, Young clearly says Gundy will be calling plays during the game. But the rest of the quote doesn’t mesh with Gundy’s philosophy from the 2008 season.
To be a play-calling head coach, Gundy said he had to cut back his involvement in other areas, primarily the defense. He regularly pointed out that he didn’t watch the defense during games when he was sitting on a box away from the field planning the next offensive series. And he regularly told the media that he was not in tune with the defensive game plan, or the construction thereof, throughout the week or on game day.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 81135Read live updates from the May 20 Moore tornado
- 32459Oklahoma devastated by second round of twisters
- 13823Oklahoma City tornado so large, may not be recognized, officials say
- 12196Several kids pulled out of Oklahoma school rubble alive
- 11468How to help tornado victims
- 10241At least 51 die in Oklahoma tornado, official says
- 7786Tornado in Oklahoma City suburb causes destruction
- 5720Police: School near OKC directly hit by tornado
- 5362Oklahoma weather: Crews work to clear storm damage in Oklahoma City as the state braces for severe weather Sunday.
- 3318Oklahoma tornadoes: 'It took it all'
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients