OSU signing day update
By Scott Wright
At this point, it appears all of OSU’s 19 high school commitments have signed letters of intent today, joining the four junior-college players who signed early and are already attending classes.
There was plenty of drama from Saturday-Tuesday, but so far, signing day has lacked any surprises.
As for the spot vacated when Demontre Hurst jumped ship to sign with Oklahoma State, right now it looks unlikely that the Cowboys will add another recruit. So 23 might end up being the final tally on this class.
Guthrie prospect Donte’ Foster could still be a candidate for the final spot, if there is one. The biggest concern with Foster is that OSU coaches had anticipated he wouldn’t sign anywhere to play football. They didn’t bring him in for a camp, so they don’t have much of an idea what he looks like on the field, other than his highlight tape. And that almost completely consists of him playing offense, not defense. So there’s some fear of the unknown there.
I don’t necessarily see a lot of risk, because from all accounts, Foster is a good kid who attends class and stays out of trouble. And there’s no arguing that he’s got some special athletic skills, along with a knack for making big plays.
But to paraphrase Colorado coach Dan Hawkins, this is the Big 12, not intramural football. Coaches can’t be tossing around scholarship offers if they’re not 100 percent confident in the situation.
For those fans who are worried about the prospectus at cornerback, here’s an idea where that position stands.
The primary guys at that position will be seniors Perrish Cox, Terrance Anderson and Maurice Gray, with sophomore Markelle Martin also in the rotation. So cornerback isn’t an issue this fall, but next. That’s where Hurst’s defection is most damaging.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 11190Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 11015Oklahoma tornadoes: Cost, custom keep basements scarce
- 9873Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 8372Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 4481Downtown wish list includes Super Target
- 4243Miranda Lambert, Reba McEntire, Vince Gill to join Blake Shelton at "Healing in the Heartland" Oklahoma tornado benefit
- 4027OU softball: Sooners inspired by Casey Angle, run-rule Texas A&M
- 3513Oklahoma tornadoes: Moore tornado was ninth deadliest in Oklahoma history
- 3480How to help tornado victims
- 3393Oklahoma City pastor will face trial in fatal shooting of son-in law
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients