OSU’s receiver dilemma: For better and worse
By Scott Wright
As you saw in Sports Monday, I wrote about Oklahoma State’s suddenly depleted group of receivers.
But here’s a little deeper look inside the situation as spring practice creeps closer. The Cowboys are better off than it appears on the surface. And worse off, too.
* Damian Davis caught 19 passes in 13 games last season. Yes, he had two big touchdown catches at Missouri and made a couple other crucial plays during the season, but it’s not like losing someone who accounted for 45 catches and 500 yards.
* Right now, OSU will have 19 receivers and tight ends on the roster this fall, assuming there’s no more attrition or additions. So depth isn’t necessarily an issue.
* One intriguing addition could come from the running back spot, where it has been speculated that redshirt freshman Travis Miller could be tested as a slot receiver. He played some receiver in high school and impressed coaches last August as a running back, leading them to toy with the idea of playing him as a true freshman despite strong depth at the position.
* OSU coaches didn’t know who their No. 2 wideout would be last September, either. They knew who they hoped it would be, but there wasn’t much on-field proof to fall back on. Yet they turned out fine.
* Dez Bryant isn’t expected to take part in spring practice, which opens up a good chunk of reps for other receivers to get extra work.
* Davis developed into the most reliable wide receiver opposite Dez Bryant. His numbers weren’t huge, but he’ll be missed. And his absence might be more significant on the plays other than the 19 when he caught the ball. He was perhaps the best downfield blocker among the receivers.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 11499Oklahoma devastated by second round of twisters
- 10241At least 51 die in Oklahoma tornado, official says
- 8698Read live updates from the May 20 Moore tornado
- 7434How to help tornado victims
- 4914Several kids pulled out of Oklahoma school rubble alive
- 2111Oklahoma twister tracked path of 1999 tornado
- 1490Oklahoma City tornado so large, may not be recognized, officials say
- 1406Twitter reaction from the sports world on the Moore/OKC tornadoes
- 954Hospitals treat more than 120 after Oklahoma tornado
- 936Expert rips Oklahoma State Bureau of Investigation's handling of murder case
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients