A few players to watch in Friday’s open practice
By Scott Wright
Friday is Oklahoma State’s final open practice before the April 18 spring game, so if you’re making the trip out for the 3:30 p.m. workout, here are a few players worth keeping an eye on.
1. Richetti Jones: The sophomore defensive end is still getting his strength back after that devastating hip injury he suffered more than two years ago, but there’s playing time to be won at DE, and he’s catching the eye of Bill Young. Even after the injury, he’s still a solid speed rusher, which is the biggest need of the defensive line. Young said this week that he can envision Jones getting some meaningful playing time this year.
2. Justin Blackmon: I’m going to be writing about this receiver from Plainview High School in Ardmore this weekend, but fans will get a chance to check him out today. Mike Gundy says they knew from the start that he had the physical tools to be an early contributor and now the redshirt freshman is showing that he has the mental composure to do it, too. There’s a good chance he’ll be in the two-deep this fall, so get to know him.
3. Alex Cate and Brandon Weeden: Zac Robinson isn’t getting thrown into a lot of live action this spring. Let’s face it, he knows the offense and he’s earned the rest. But the backup battle rages on. Brandon Weeden was strong in Wednesday’s practice, according to Gundy, but there are eight more workouts for this competition to continue.
4. Victor Johnson: After earning playing time as a true freshman, Johnson is now the front-runner to start at strong safety. He’s very impressive athletically and continues to make plays in the spring.
5. Donald Booker: The junior-college linebacker is finally coming around and might earn some playing time this fall. But either way, he’s fun to watch in practice, with his speed big hits.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 60552Oklahoma tornadoes: 'It took it all'
- 32931Oklahoma weather: Crews work to clear storm damage in Oklahoma City as the state braces for severe weather Sunday.
- 31925Oklahoma Severe Storm Updates
- 12639Oklahoma State football: Limiting Wes Lunt's transfer options makes Mike Gundy look bad
- 8214Wild hogs continue to be a growing menace across Oklahoma
- 5947Oklahoma City Thunder: What could Serge Ibaka learn from Hakeem Olajuwon?
- 3659Oklahoma football: Jay Norvell working on luring a tall group of wide receivers to Norman
- 3421Rockets guard Patrick Beverley bombarded with hateful Tweets after Thunder get eliminated
- 3336George Nigh has long been 'Four' Oklahoma
- 3296OKC Thunder GM Sam Presti won't amnesty Kendrick Perkins
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients