By John Helsley
Football dominates the thoughts — and the headlines — these days, but there’s also a buzz over at Allie P. Reynolds Stadium.
Major League Baseball’s deadline for signing 2009 draft picks approaches, with signatures due by midnight Monday. And the countdown carries heavy impact for many big league clubs.
And the Cowboys.
The struggling economy is causing some organizations to cut back on signing bonuses, which could send some premium players off to school. No team in the country may stand to benefit more than OSU.
Cowboys coach Frank Anderson is watching with interest as negotiations carry to the wire. The roster he anticipated and the roster he ends up with could be drastically different, for the better.
The Big Three in last season’s rotation — Andy Oliver (2nd round, Tigers), Tyler Lyons (10th round, Yankees) and Tyler Blandford (5th round, Mariners) — all remain unsigned and there’s a thought that at least two could end up in orange and black. Getting these guys back would immediately thrust OSU to the front of the Big 12 race for 2010.
And there’s more.
In a major development this week, the Orioles withdrew their offer to 2nd round pick Mychal Givens, a shortstop and pitcher who signed with the Cowboys. And barring a change of heart, Givens could be heading to Stillwater, delivering an elite talent to the program.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 35920Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 15377Bradley Cooper, Zach Galifianakis, Ed Helms drink in success of 'Hangover' series
- 9806Hobby Lobby argues case before federal judges
- 9680Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 9189Oklahoma tornadoes: Thunder reverses the role, takes a turn at cheering on the community
- 7926Blake Shelton's "Healing the Heartland" televised tornado benefit set for Wednesday at Chesapeake Energy Arena
- 7748Story behind the photo: Family members describe desperate search for one another after EF5 twister
- 7269Carrie Underwood donates $1 million to Red Cross for disaster relief in wake of deadly Oklahoma tornadoes
- 6212Oklahoma tornadoes: Sooners bring back some smiles to Sydney Angle's teammates
- 6004UPDATE: Search continues for boy, 17, missing in Uncle John Creek in Kingfisher
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients