All’s Quiet In Stillwater
By John Helsley
Not much football news coming out of Stillwater these days.
Apparently, Mike Gundy likes it this way. That was the assumption when Gundy sealed off 12 days of OSU’s preseason from the media, ending all access to coaches and players.
By early evening on Sept. 5, the move will either be looked at as a calculated correct read on his team, or a miscalculated gaffe.
Maybe Gundy sensed his players needed to circle the wagons, albeit from themselves, not us, with the overwhelming majority of preseason stories packed with positives.
Maybe he sensed his guys were impacted by all the attention, both local and national, although it’s something the program and its fans have long craved and cried out for.
Maybe Gundy felt that to ensure the best chance at beating Georgia in the program’s biggest game ever, his team’s focus needed to be clear and tight.
And maybe it will result in a springboard win for this season and beyond.
But maybe, just maybe, Gundy’s move creates just the atmosphere he’s hoping to avoid inside the locker room.
Gundy’s on record as saying he wants his coaches to coach loose, his players to play loose.
By retreating at this stage, he better hope his players don’t perceive it as a move of panic.
Here’s the deal. The Cowboys have strained to reach the big stage. It’s best they act like they’ve been there before, even if it’s just an act.
When you hit the top 10, increased attention is part of the gig. It’s the price of doing business among the elite.
The Cowboys shouldn’t shy from it, they should embrace it.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 101883Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 13737Bradley Cooper, Zach Galifianakis, Ed Helms drink in success of 'Hangover' series
- 10731Oklahoma tornadoes: ‘All I could do was sit there and hold her'
- 9553OKC Thunder: Kevin Durant tours Moore, meets with residents
- 8470Oklahoma tornadoes: Rams quarterback Sam Bradford leading aid effort
- 7788How to help tornado victims
- 7217Line of storms brings flash floods to Oklahoma City area
- 7121Oklahoma tornadoes: Love for Oklahoma generates big donation
- 6843Hobby Lobby argues case before federal judges
- 5845Rock, pop, country acts give talents and time to help Oklahoma tornado victims
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients