Making the rounds on OSU football
By Scott Wright
A few OSU football items of discussion to keep you busy during the bye week:
– Oklahoma State is still looking for a quarterback or two in the 2009 recruiting class. The Cowboys’ latest commitment, Joe Mitchell of Katy, Texas, is listed as a QB by some recruiting services, but he’s most likely a safety or STAR linebacker at OSU. At 6-foot-3, 215, he seems perfect for that outside LB spot.
– In case you’re curious (because I was), “STAR” doesn’t really have a meaning. It’s just a term they used at Ohio State and Tim Beckman brought it with him when he came here. At most places, it’s just called “Will,” which is a nickname for the weakside linebacker spot.
– Mitchell and fellow commit Darius Hart, a junior-college defensive end, are both eligible to enroll at OSU in January. Mike Gundy expects to have several spots open for players who want to enroll early. Along with the four players who left the team before the season, a handful of current seniors are expected to graduate in December, David Washington, Jacob Lacey and Ricky Price among them. I’m trying to get a full list together and I’ll have that for you soon.
– I’ve been asked a few times about the possibility of Washington applying for a sixth year because of the broken leg he suffered last season against Troy. According to the NCAA rules, a football player sustaining a season-ending injury in the first three games of the season is eligible to apply. But when I asked Washington about it this week, he said he has been told he wouldn’t qualify. And even if he did, he said he didn’t know if he’d apply anyway. As fun as it is, college football is a lot of hard work.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 36901Oklahoma weather: Crews work to clear storm damage in Oklahoma City as the state braces for severe weather Sunday.
- 36295Oklahoma tornadoes: 'It took it all'
- 32626Oklahoma Severe Storm Updates
- 8549Wild hogs continue to be a growing menace across Oklahoma
- 5487OKC Thunder GM Sam Presti won't amnesty Kendrick Perkins
- 4132Oklahoma City Thunder: What could Serge Ibaka learn from Hakeem Olajuwon?
- 4021Oklahoma State football: Limiting Wes Lunt's transfer options makes Mike Gundy look bad
- 3510College football: Coaches, athletes weigh in on NCAA's suspended recruiting proposals
- 3369George Nigh has long been 'Four' Oklahoma
- 3261Brittney Griner: Kim Mulkey said keep quiet on sexuality
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients