On Point: Is Ray Penn Ready?
By John Helsley
The Cowboys arrive at Big 12 play at 12-2, yet carrying plenty of questions.
OSU’s non-conference schedule revealed some about these Cowboys — James Anderson deserves mention among the nation’s elite, the team’s defense has improved markedly, Matt Pilgrim must stay out of foul trouble and Marhsall Moses must stay out of legal trouble — but overall, there’s not a great feel for what to expect as Big 12 play begins Saturday against Texas Tech at Gallagher-Iba Arena.
“It’s been a strange deal. Are we going in on a high? It’s something I hadn’t really thought a whole lot about. We’ve just kind of been the same. We haven’t been real, real bad other than Tulsa and we haven’t been real, real good ever. We played a great first half against Pacific, the best whole game we played was versus Utah. But I haven’t seen the best of three or four guys at a time. I know we’re 12-2 now, but we’re not playing as well as we need to be playing. We better figure it out over quickly.”
The guess here: the Cowboys will follow Ray Penn’s lead.
As good as Anderson is, and he’s big time, point guard is a critical position, especially in what appears to be the nation’s best basketball league. Penn’s future appears bright. At times, he’s shown flashes of brilliance. But he’s also thrown in a few clunkers.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 10801Oklahoma tornadoes: Cost, custom keep basements scarce
- 10490Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 10422Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 9824Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 6498Miranda Lambert, Reba McEntire, Vince Gill to join Blake Shelton at "Healing in the Heartland" Oklahoma tornado benefit
- 4191Downtown wish list includes Super Target
- 4093Oklahoma tornadoes: 27 remain hospitalized from tornadoes
- 3771OU softball: Sooners inspired by Casey Angle, run-rule Texas A&M
- 3668Oklahoma tornadoes: Sooners bring back some smiles to Sydney Angle's teammates
- 3566How to help tornado victims
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients