A weekend full of rewards
by Brandon Chatmon
In Oklahoma State’s 67-63 win over Texas A&M on Sunday, the Cowgirls displayed a surprising mental toughness and an uncommon will to win.
And the nation has taken notice. Among the accolades:
–The Cowgirls entered the Associated Press Top 10 for the first time ever on Monday at No. 10. OSU is 18-3 with its lone losses at No. 8 Ohio State, at No. 17 Texas and on a neutral court to Michigan State. The Cowgirls are undefeated at home including wins over No. 15 Baylor and No. 21 Georgia Tech.
–Senior point guard Andrea Riley was named Big 12 Women’s basketball player of the week. She averaged 30 points, 5 assists and 3.5 rebounds while leading the Cowgirls to wins over Missouri and Texas A&M. It is the fourth time this season that Riley earned the honor and the 11th time in her stellar career.
–Fox Sports revised their schedule to televise OSU’s top-10 battle with No. 4 Nebraska on Fox Sports Oklahoma at 7 p.m. on Wednesday. Clearly the network realized the importance of this game, which could decide the Big 12 regular season title. Nebraska is 19-0 including 6-0 in the Big 12. The Cowgirls are currently second in the Big 12 at 18-3, 6-1. The game was originally set to be shown on Fox Sports Midwest ONLY.
–Riley is on the front page of ESPN’s women’s basketball section. National analysts have finally started noticing the Cowgirls. Everybody knows about Riley but Tegan Cunningham has performed at an all-conference-type level and OSU has more depth and athleticism then most observers expected in the preseason.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 90847Oklahoma weather: Severe storm updates
- 47098Oklahoma tornadoes: 'It took it all'
- 38051Oklahoma devastated by second round of twisters
- 30921Oklahoma State football: Limiting Wes Lunt's transfer options makes Mike Gundy look bad
- 13823Oklahoma City tornado so large, may not be recognized, officials say
- 12196Several kids pulled out of Oklahoma school rubble alive
- 11468How to help tornado victims
- 10724Oklahoma weather: Crews work to clear storm damage in Oklahoma City as the state braces for severe weather Sunday.
- 10241At least 51 die in Oklahoma tornado, official says
- 8728Bounty hunters look for bail jumpers, fugitives on the streets of Oklahoma City
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients