Cowboys Moving Up?
By John Helsley
Rejoice, Cowboys fans, over your Bedlam blowout to start the Big 12 Tournament.
Get giddy, too, over Nebraska’s stunning upset of Missouri.
That opening day combination at the Sprint Center may have created a subtle shift in the NCAA Tournament bracket that carries seismic implications.
Checking out Joe Lunardi’s updated (as of late Wednesday night) bracketology, OSU moved from a No. 8 to a No. 7 seed in his bracket projection, joining the Tigers as a 7.
It’s the same at Sporting News Today, where Mike DeCourcy also shifted the Cowboys up a notch.
The Cowboys have been fit as a notch below Mizzou based on a lower finish in the conference regular season and a head-to-head loss. But the Pokes and Tigers have altered their images of late, punctuated Wednesday.
Better yet for the Cowboys, they can solify themselves as a bracket riser tonight against Kansas State, a team they’ve already beaten. And it comes with little risk, as a loss in an upset role at a neutral site wouldn’t be all that harmful.
Why all the issue over one spot in the bracket?
Here’s why: The first round pits 8 vs. 9 seeds in tossup games, leading into a second-round matchup with a No. 1. A 7 not only gets a lower-seeded first round foe in a 10, the next round leads to a 2, which this season is drastically different.
Consider Lunardi’s bracket.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 28939Read live updates from the May 20 Moore tornado
- 26978Oklahoma devastated by second round of twisters
- 12196Several kids pulled out of Oklahoma school rubble alive
- 11468How to help tornado victims
- 10241At least 51 die in Oklahoma tornado, official says
- 5720Police: School near OKC directly hit by tornado
- 5000Oklahoma City tornado so large, may not be recognized, officials say
- 2753Oklahoma twister tracked path of 1999 tornado
- 2336Tornado in Oklahoma City suburb causes destruction
- 2282Oklahoma weather: Crews work to clear storm damage in Oklahoma City as the state braces for severe weather Sunday.
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients