Talkin points: Keys to spring
by Brandon Chatmon
It’s the middle of March Madness but spring football is starting to pick up. After a spring break hiatus, Oklahoma State is back at work this week.
Here’s a quick look at three things I think the Cowboys need to accomplish this spring.
Make significant progress towards becoming comfortable in Dana Holgorsen’s offense. Junior Brandon Weeden must gain a understanding of OSU’s new offense which allows him to simply react to what he sees without thinking. But that’s easier said than done. It’s too much to ask him to be able to do that this spring but there’s no reason he can’t take steps towards being that comfortable with the system before the end of spring football. Since the offense counts so much on the chemistry between quarterback and receiver, it will also be key for OSU’s receiving corps to get comfortable with the offense because if they make a poor read it’s just as bad as if the quarterback does. An interception is a interception.
Someone needs to emerge at defensive tackle. Finding a solid defensive tackle rotation will be critical to OSU’s success. Derek Burton and Swanson Miller were solid for the Cowboys in 2009 but both players were seniors. Shane Jarka and Chris Donaldson entered the spring as starters and both players were in the rotation in 2009. The key for OSU is finding an interior presence, whoever it may be. Nigel Nicholas is a good interior pass rush threat but a bit undersized. Redshirt freshman Anthony Rogers has an opportunity to be a core member of OSU’s defense for the next few years, it’s up to him to take advantage of it. And incoming freshmen Diamonte Wheeler (Arlington Bowie) and Chris Littlehead (Seqouyah Tahlequah) will be given the chance to make a impact immediately.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 100558Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 15302OKC Thunder: Kevin Durant tours Moore, meets with residents
- 13338Oklahoma tornadoes: ‘All I could do was sit there and hold her'
- 8709Line of storms brings flash floods to Oklahoma City area
- 8075Oklahoma tornadoes: Love for Oklahoma generates big donation
- 8036How to help tornado victims
- 7986Oklahoma tornadoes: Rams quarterback Sam Bradford leading aid effort
- 6703Oklahoma tornadoes: Oklahoma singer packs tour bus with donations for storm victims
- 6459Oklahoma tornadoes: Red Cross text donations not designated for Oklahoma
- 5978Oklahoma tornadoes: Tornado leaves family members in two hospitals and one dead
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients