OSU Hoops: Looking Bigger
By John Helsley
Among Oklahoma State’s perceived weaknesses in 2009-10: size, as in a lack of it.
Perception, it seems, isn’t always reality.
Cowboys coach Travis Ford mostly chose to play small, preferring the advantages that Obi Muonelo provided at the 4 spot.
Ford had capable and quality big men in 6-foot-8 Matt Pilgrim and 6-7 Marshall Moses, yet rarely played them together.
“I was so comfortable with what we were running for two years with Obi at the 4,” Ford said. “A lot of our offense was predicated, not so much for him to necessarily score at the 4, but our plays were run in a way that our 4 man needed to be versatile.”
Muonelo, while 6-4, created major matchup issues for foes, particularly on the offensive end.
Kansas coach Bill Self – and others – referred to Muonelo as a “matchup nightmare.”
Muonelo could smoothly stroke 3-pointers, or use his quickness and strength to slash and drive and score on lumbering big men. He could handle the ball out front, or roll off screens and pop jumpers.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 13515Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 10081Oklahoma tornadoes: Cost, custom keep basements scarce
- 9722Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 8902Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 6661Miranda Lambert, Reba McEntire, Vince Gill to join Blake Shelton at "Healing in the Heartland" Oklahoma tornado benefit
- 5295Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 4594Story behind the photo: Family members describe desperate search for one another after EF5 twister
- 4515Oklahoma tornadoes: Sooners bring back some smiles to Sydney Angle's teammates
- 4167Oklahoma tornadoes: 27 remain hospitalized from tornadoes
- 4139Oklahoma tornadoes: Thunder reverses the role, takes a turn at cheering on the community
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients