Opportunities abound at WR
Oklahoma State will head into the 2010 season with eight solid receivers but there will be plenty of opportunities for the Pokes’ signees at receiver to make an immediate impact.
“We need a couple more guys to come in and contribute,” Gundy said of the receiver position.” We would like to have three more with experience but we don’t. But we will rely on having a couple of guys come in for the fall and getting them ready to play fast.”
New offensive coordinator Dana Holgorsen said Hubert Anyiam, Justin Blackmon, Josh Cooper and Tracy Moore have set themselves apart as the Cowboys top four receivers.
OSU receiver signees Chris Dinkins, Kevin Johnson and Montra Nelson should be the happiest incoming freshmen in the world because the competition for playing time is wide open. Athlete Justin Gilbert could figure into the mix at receiver also.
Here’s a quick look at all four players:
Justin Gilbert, Huntsville (Texas): I would be surprised if he doesn’t play as a freshman. Gilbert recently ran a 10.68 to win the 100 meter dash (Division II) so he has speed and OSU is looking for kick and punt returners to replace Dez Bryant and Perrish Cox. Gilbert appears ideal for that role. He’s a dynamic athlete who could end up on offense or defense but, if he shows playmaking ability in fall camp, he could be a guy they throw in on offense just to get him the ball in space.
Kevin Johnson, Houston (Texas) Cypress Falls: I think Johnson could emerge as a legit receiving threat during his true freshman season. He’s a very good athlete and has the football saavy and I.Q. to be able to pick up Dana Holgorsen’s offense quickly. I wouldn’t be surprised to see him work his way into OSU’s two-deep depth chart before Big 12 play.
Chris Dinkins, Tyler (Texas) Lee: Dinkins is a big receiver with good speed. I think he is physically ready to play but, like any freshman, the mental part of Big 12 football will decide how quickly he starts making a impact. He’s the type of receiver who won’t run away from people but should be able to use his body to make plays.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 51863Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 14915Bradley Cooper, Zach Galifianakis, Ed Helms drink in success of 'Hangover' series
- 9511Hobby Lobby argues case before federal judges
- 7908Oklahoma tornadoes: Thunder reverses the role, takes a turn at cheering on the community
- 7474Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 6783Blake Shelton's "Healing the Heartland" televised tornado benefit set for Wednesday at Chesapeake Energy Arena
- 6733Rock, pop, country acts give talents and time to help Oklahoma tornado victims
- 6649Carrie Underwood donates $1 million to Red Cross for disaster relief in wake of deadly Oklahoma tornadoes
- 6166How to help tornado victims
- 6095Story behind the photo: Family members describe desperate search for one another after EF5 twister
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients