Practice Pros And Cons Of The Spread
By John Helsley
From the outside, OSU’s spring practices focused almost entirely on new offensive coordinator’s Dana Holgorsen’s spread attack that took OSU’s old spread to a different level, a more air-it-out level.
Friends and fans all wanted to know the same things:
How does it look?
Are the receivers a fit?
Will the Cowboys still run?
The one question — and a vital question — never asked: How will the new look impact the Cowboys defense. The change in philosophy affects both sides of the ball in practices. Outside of the scout team offense, the Holgorsen spread is all the defense will see from a quality standpoint.
That means dealing with a lot of finesse and speed and little, if any, time going mano-a-mano against a physical power running game.
We always wonder why defenses attached to spread teams — like Holgorsen’s at Texas Tech and Houston — have rarely been effective. Maybe they’re soft. Maybe they’re just unprepared for what’s coming.
Cowboys’ defensive coordinator Bill Young, who must replace a slew of starters, downplayed any concern.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 24523Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 15852Bradley Cooper, Zach Galifianakis, Ed Helms drink in success of 'Hangover' series
- 10645Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 9696Oklahoma tornadoes: Thunder reverses the role, takes a turn at cheering on the community
- 9156Hobby Lobby argues case before federal judges
- 8753Story behind the photo: Family members describe desperate search for one another after EF5 twister
- 8578Blake Shelton's "Healing the Heartland" televised tornado benefit set for Wednesday at Chesapeake Energy Arena
- 7656Carrie Underwood donates $1 million to Red Cross for disaster relief in wake of deadly Oklahoma tornadoes
- 7634Oklahoma tornadoes: Sooners bring back some smiles to Sydney Angle's teammates
- 6870UPDATE: Search continues for boy, 17, missing in Uncle John Creek in Kingfisher
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients